• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HMRC letters target taxpayers with Swiss bank accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMRC letters target taxpayers with Swiss bank accounts

25 September 2010 Last updated at 16:03

Hundreds of wealthy UK taxpayers have been sent letters by HM Revenue & Customs over possible large-scale tax evasion, the BBC has learned.
    It is understood HMRC has acquired a list of high net-worth individuals with accounts at the Swiss division of HSBC.
    The list was stolen by an employee and passed to the taxman by the French authorities. The bank is not accused of any wrongdoing.
    The campaign comes after the government announced a crackdown on tax avoidance.
    Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander told the Liberal Democrat conference in Liverpool it was hoped closing loopholes and ensuring wealthy people pay the full top rate of tax would generate an estimated £7bn a year by 2015 in additional income tax revenue.
    Secrecy laws
    Tax evasion and avoidance cost the Treasury an estimated £14bn a year and successive governments have vowed to take action against it.
    BBC business correspondent Joe Lynam says the letters sent out by the HMRC are known as Code of Practice 9 and advise the recipients that they are suspected of committing illegal tax evasion which may lead to a criminal conviction.

A HMRC spokesman said: "The days of hiding money offshore to evade tax are now over."
    Due to its secrecy laws, Switzerland has long attracted the very wealthy as a place to save their money.
    This is changing in light of a worldwide clampdown on "offshore" tax havens ordered by the G20 last year.
    It also follows similar efforts by Germany in 2008 against wealthy residents suspected of using banks in neighbouring Liechtenstein, another tax haven.
    Germany's finance ministry paid an informant a reported 5 million euros (£4.2m) for a stolen computer disc containing the names of hundreds of clients at a wealth management firm.
    In the HMRC case, a former staff member at HSBC's Swiss division stole highly sensitive data belonging to 15,000 high net-worth account holders earlier this year and fled to France.
    The list was passed to the French authorities, who in turn handed the relevant details to HMRC.
    HSBC fired the employee and the Swiss authorities are pursuing criminal action against him but cannot extradite him from France for legal reasons.
    No more than 10% of the list of suspected tax evaders pertained to any one country.
    HSBC said it had no comment to make on the matter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11411840

Will be interesting to see if anything is done to cut down tax avoidance, all for Swiss accounts if the money was earned outside of the uk.

But if it was earned in the UK then no it should be declared.
    If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Re: HMRC letters target taxpayers with Swiss bank accounts

I wish I had a swiss bank account but I don't have the money, lol!!
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I guess there are no hiding places even for the very rich and famous to stash their money and away from paying their taxes.

How do people accumalate so much money to put it in secret bank accounts in Switzerland. I hope it is not from money laundering. Well it is not so secret now and I wonder if the person who became the informant to the revenue has received a nice reward.

Now where can I hide my money .... if I had any?

Comment

Mine's in a matchbox under my bed

Comment

Well if it was not for having to have our income paid into the bank that is where mine would be too.

The banks don't pay a lot of interest anyway and what they do is more than swallowed up by fees anyway
          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X