• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Affordable loans plan is unveiled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable loans plan is unveiled

BBC News - Affordable loans plan is unveiled

A new not-for-profit lending scheme is being unveiled aimed at giving manageable loans to financially excluded people.

A pilot scheme has been set up in the West Midlands called My Home Finance, in the hope of diverting people away from borrowing from loan sharks. However, the interest being charged is higher than the maximum by law that credit unions can charge. It will charge 29.9% APR in the pilot scheme, rising to 49.9% APR in April.

Credit unions, set up to encourage people on low incomes to save, are allowed to charge no more than 26.8% APR - the annual percentage rate - with many credit unions only charging 12.7% APR.

Target
    My Home Finance has been set up by the National Housing Federation (NHF), with 10 branches opening as part of the pilot project. Customers would have to go through a 45-minute interview to check they would have a realistic chance of repaying the loan before being allowed to borrow sums of about £500. This would then have to be paid back weekly. People would also be offered debt advice and help in opening a bank account - in a bid to prevent them using loan sharks.

Rates in the legitimate doorstep lending industry tend to be higher, but one of the leading lending companies - Provident - said it welcomed the pilot project. "This initiative broadens further the range of credit options available to those on lower incomes and introduces yet more competition, which we welcome," a spokesman said.

Setting up
    The "vast majority" of the set-up costs have been met by the Department for Work and Pensions, according to the NHF. There has also been input from local housing associations and the Royal Bank of Scotland. Some 38 members of staff have been taken on and four branches - in Hereford, Worcester, Walsall and Northfield in Birmingham - are up and running. By the end of October, others will be open in Coventry, Tamworth, Dudley, Wolverhampton, Birmingham city centre and Erdington. They will be run by East Lancashire Moneyline. "By offering fair loans at fair prices, we hope to offer an alternative to both loan sharks, who cynically prey on hard up families, and doorstep lenders, who are all too willing to lend cash to the desperate at hugely inflated rates of interest," said NHF chief executive David Orr. The Federation is planning to open branches across England and is aims to write up to 150,000 loans to people on lower incomes in the next 10 years.

However, the cost of these loans, through interest, will be increased to 49.9% to cover costs when the scheme is expanded across England, a spokesman said. Mick McAteer, of the Financial Inclusion Centre, said: "While this is a welcome step, it should be put in context. We estimate there are four million people in the UK without access to mainstream affordable credit. "More needs to be done to give consumers a real choice." He said the poorest people in the UK had very little choice of loan providers. The scheme is being launched by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith on Thursday.

Re: Affordable loans plan is unveiled

What a load of crap.....the interest rate is absolutely ridiculous.
    I have an idea, let's make financial difficulty even harder and encourage people to borrow money rather than trying to help them with financial advice....useless.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

What you need to know
      We can provide loans for any purpose - for example, school uniforms, furniture, a new washing machine or cooker. Being unemployed and on benefits won't affect your ability to get a loan - we count benefits as income. Anyone aged 18 or over can apply.

My Home Finance does not provide 'cash loans'. The loan will be paid into your bank account and the repayments collected by direct debit. If you do not already have a bank account we can help you to open one.

A Bank Account with RBS

Can't find any T&Cs just yet but there is a £15 admin charge added to the loan
      Last edited by enaid; 23rd September 2010, 05:40:AM.

Comment

High interest rates, sounds familiar...hope they do not add ppi, dont think I will be applying
        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Wish the government had stuck with the plans for social fund and budgeting loans to be extended to low income households at 26.7%.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Well just the thought you have to open a RBS account is enough said imo

Comment

I couldn't believe the interest rate, shocking! They need to address why people on low incomes can't afford the basics, not just offer to get them into debt.

This is just more of that old tradition whereby the poor pay more for things than the wealthy.
              Last edited by Zazen.Warrior; 23rd September 2010, 08:00:AM.
              Scottish Wildcat Association, conserving Scotland's critically endangered wild felines

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                Well just the thought you have to open a RBS account is enough said imo
                You don't HAVE to have an account with RBS, you do have to have an account, but can be with anyone. they just have an agreement with RBS to help people open accounts if they cant do it themselves elsewhere.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  You don't HAVE to have an account with RBS, you do have to have an account, but can be with anyone. they just have an agreement with RBS to help people open accounts if they cant do it themselves elsewhere.

Yes am sorry I jumped the gun there, just thought after all this time telling people to get basic no frills accounts having to have one that allows you to pay by DD as required by this scheme may lead to other things being offered.

Comment

Well I doubt RBS are doing it out the goodness of their hearts.

This is pretty disgusting (but then I suppose better than 2345% with Quickquid) hope there is some backlash in parliament. Thursday be interesting.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

My Home Finance scheme to help excluded borrowers

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions launches a new scheme which aims to give financially excluded people, on lower incomes, a fair-priced alternative to doorstep lenders and illegal loan sharks.
                      My Home Finance is being led by the National Housing Federation and supported by the Department for Work and Pensions, the Royal Bank of Scotland, 26 housing associations and Wates Giving. Iain Duncan Smith launched the scheme today at the National Housing Federation annual conference, at the ICC in Birmingham.
                      The scheme will provide loans charging a typical APR of 29.9%, comparing favourably to the rates charged by doorstep and pay-day lenders, which can range from 200% to 2,000%. Loans of around £500 will usually last for a year, but borrowers can select a shorter or longer term if preferred. My Home Finance will start with 10 branches across the West Midlands by the end of October, and will roll out to the rest of the UK from next April if successful, writing up to 150,000 loans to people on lower incomes over the next 10 years. The branches will be located in busy high streets and shopping centres, providing easy access to those who have previously been turned away by high street lenders.
                      Commenting on the launch of the Government’s ‘My Home Finance’ scheme, Joanna Elson OBE, chief executive of the Money Advice Trust, said:
                      “We welcome this addition to the consumer credit market. Any initiative aimed at widening the range of options for people whose options for credit are so limited should be commended, and we applaud the National Housing Federation for taking this important step.
                      “Providing credit to those who are assessed as ‘high risk’, however, is expensive, and the proposed rate of interest as of April next year of 49.9 per cent APR is far higher than the unsecured loan rates we are used to seeing in the branch windows of our high street banks. Consumers considering applying for a loan through the scheme therefore need to be absolutely sure they can afford the repayments.”
                      For more information on the scheme visit the National Housing Federation website.

More...

Comment

Re: My Home Finance scheme to help excluded borrowers

I heard something about this on the radio this evening, main thing that sticks in my mind was the chap saying that the repayments are to be made by DD from bank account, so what happens if the DD bounces? As he said, this could possibly lead to charges of up to £110 in a single month (I think it was RBS figures he quoted). As he so rightly pointed out, how would these charges help someone who's on a low income in the first place???
                        Is no longer here

Comment

Indeed and how is near on 50% interest cheap and helping the vulnerable
                          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

I'll merge threads and move it OUT of free debt advice and charities forum, as it obviously is neither.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

furthmore in the papers today the gov is to axe plans to curb extorsionate interest rates imposed by sharks and pay day loan companies

I thought this war cleegs job to soften the conservative axe but he is turning into a lap dog
                              If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X