• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DEBT FIRM/RANKINES have been banned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEBT FIRM/RANKINES have been banned

Debt sale firm hit by legal ban

A couple have been banned from running a "debt sale" business which took more than a million pounds in fees from clients.
    The injunction, imposed by Birmingham County Court, was granted after an investigation by Birmingham Trading Standards officers.
    The firm, Credit Card Killer, was run by Mr and Mrs Basil Rankine.
    They were accused of making misleading claims that people could legally escape their debts by selling them.
    The Rankines were accused of running an unfair commercial practice, specifically by suggesting that people could be free of their debts within two weeks, by "selling" them for just one pound.
    The couple also charged a percentage of the debt that had been supposedly offloaded.
    "The company's activities were causing significant detriment to vulnerable consumers," the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) said today.
    "It has been estimated that customers have paid over £1m in up front fees for a "service" which the OFT believes to be a scam."
    Warning
    The Office of Fair Trading, which welcomed the court order, first warned against this sort of business last July.
    It pinpointed an upsurge in adverts from claims and debt management companies, who had suggested that debts could be sold, and without the permission of the original lender.
    "You cannot simply sell on your debt and its liabilities, and businesses that make misleading claims to the contrary are just trying to take advantage of consumers' distress," the OFT said at the time.
    The regulator pointed out today that anyone who "sold" their debt to a firm such as Credit Card Killer ran the risk that they would still have to repay their lender.
    They might also lose the fee they had paid the Rankines, would face action by debt collectors acting on behalf of their original lender, and might also ruin their credit rating.
    Legal challenges
    The Rankines first sprang to prominence in 2008 when challenging the enforceability of their own debts using the Consumer Credit Act.
    Although only partly successful, their activities spearheaded an upsurge in legal attacks on the enforceability of credit card and other loans.
    The couple's actions laid the foundation for the rapid spread of claims management businesses, advertising in newspapers and on the internet.
    Typically these firms made exaggerated claims that they had a high chance of writing off people's debts by challenging them under the strict terms of consumer laws.
    Credit Card Killer had its own licence to trade as a claims management company cancelled in July 2009. The court order against the firm's activities as a "debt sale" firm lasts initially for one year, until 21 April 2011.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC News - Debt sale firm hit by legal ban

Published: 2010/04/26 18:03:36 GMT

© BBC MMX

Re: DEBT FIRM/RANKINES have been banned

Hi

Think I watched the programme a couple of years ago involving this couple

Strange how things & people turn out.

Comment

Good news.

I suppose it is asking too much for people to stop hoping that these firms will help them.

Comment

Shame :madgrin::madgrin:

Comment

The ban on the Rankines is to April 2011 - why not a ban forever?

That is not long enough imho and I am sure they will find someone to run their business in the interim whilst they are enjoying the million or so pounds they took off the poor unsuspecting folk.

I agree with you Orc, but they are given such a good sales pitch that they really belive they are their saviours. Sadly, it is not the case and Cartel was the first large one to fall and I fully expect that others will allso collapse, soon rather than latter.

I actually put part of the blame firmly on the Ministry of Justice that authorise these companies and once authorised it is a licence for these companies to take money from the unsuspecting people and they also share the profits so we have a government establishment allowing this to happen. It is very very wrong.

Trouble is people are very guliable and belive every word that these companies tell them.

Tuttsi

Comment

Good News and a worthy comeuppance.
            Luminol x

Comment

Whilst I agree that these charlatans should be put out of business I disagree that it's 'good news' IMHO it isn't as it, to some extent, blackens the name of everyone who is trying to help

Also they aren't responsible for a sudden run in CC claims that had been going on long before 2008. More inept & inaccurate reporting

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X