• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank customers in line for £6bn refund of overdraft charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank customers in line for £6bn refund of overdraft charges

Bank customers in line for 6bn refund of overdraft charges - Times Online

MILLIONS of bank customers will be in line for payouts totalling up to £6 billion if a Supreme Court judgment on current account charges goes against the banks this week.

The government is putting pressure on the banks to settle quickly, rather than appeal and drag the case through the courts for several years, should they lose the test case on Wednesday.

The court will rule on whether the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) can investigate the legality of unauthorised overdraft charges. These are penalties levied when customers bounce cheques or go into overdraft without authorisation.

The charges can run into hundreds of pounds, with some banks charging £39 for a single breach, even though critics claim the cost to the banks is as little as £4.

The case began in July 2007, when eight banks and building societies — HSBC, Royal Bank of Scotland, Halifax, Lloyds, Abbey, Nationwide, Barclays and Clydesdale — asked the High Court to rule whether the OFT could investigate the fees.

The banks have lost two High Court judgments on the matter and so have taken the case to the Supreme Court, Britain’s highest court, established last month.

Treasury officials told The Sunday Times that the banks would be pushed to negotiate a settlement after the verdict, rather than pursue the matter through the European courts if they lost.

A Treasury source said: “The government will be looking to settle the matter out of court rather than allow the banks to drag the process through the legal system, which could take several years before a satisfactory outcome.”

Treasury officials have had discussions with the banks about a settlement, though payouts may still not occur for several months.

The British Bankers’ Association said it was in discussions with the Financial Services Authority, the City watchdog, on the issue. “We have been discussing the process with the authorities from the beginning, and we will continue to do so,” the association said.

Experts believe a settlement could see the banks forced to set aside £6 billion to repay claims from customers who apply for refunds. The consumer group Which? said the average claim was expected to be about £634. Three in five of the 12m owed refunds have yet to claim.

Banks paid out £1 billion to customers before refunds were halted pending the outcome of the case. Martin Lewis, founder of MoneySavingExpert, the website that brought overdraft charges to public attention, believes the figure could be £10 billion, based on the OFT’s estimate that banks make £2.6 billion a year from unauthorised overdraft charges. Claims can be made going back eight years, but any redress is likely to factor in the cost to banks of processing payments.

“The public has paid banks billions but many [people] are still struggling to get a decent loan,” he said. “Overdraft charge refunds would mean some of this money is given back to the taxpayer.”
    The banks may push for legislation to cap future claims in return for a settlement. A spokeswoman for the British Bankers’ Association, said: “We went to court to gain clarity on this matter. The court must conclude and make it quite explicit.”

Re: Bank customers in line for £6bn refund of overdraft charges

Do we have any contacts at The Times as their recent articles on this matter have been seriously misleading ?!

Comment

It's astonishing.

''....but any redress is likely to factor in the cost to banks of processing payments.'' Really? So the banks will be able to retain the cost of administering each and every one of millions of unlawful acts?

Comment

So they lose the case that the terms that cause bank charges can be assessed for fairness yet they have to refund charges without having to test them in court. It's perverse to even write that down. I just don't get it, because there is only one site that would accept a partial payout and it's leader commented in the article.

So here is the scenario, Banks' lose appeal and charge are declared unfair which means that the charges are unenforceable in their ENTIRETY yet they get a deal where it is unenforceable in its entirety yet the charges are partially enforceable....PERVERSE!!!

Comment

UNLESS, the Banks agree and cave to the pressure they are under, and actually sit down with FSA, OFT etc and work out a fair charging methodology..
          In the mean time they refund, IN FULL, all charges going back to X date.

After all stranger things have happened.

Comment

It's probably the worst article i have have had the misfortune to read throughout the duration of the test case. It's back of a fag packet journalism.

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...k-charges-case

"A source in the banking industry said the banks were expecting the ruling to go in the OFT's favour. Most have already altered the charging structure on their current accounts.
              If the OFT wins, it is expected to rule that overdraft charges dating back to 2001, and possibly even earlier, are unfair and ask the banks to repay them. This could result in a series of court cases lasting another two years. However, the banker believed that if the ruling went in favour of the OFT, claimants could probably expect a swift return of their money. He said the fact that some of the banks involved with the case were part-owned by the taxpayer would influence a decision in favour of claimants"

Another article in the Observer.

Comment

We do know some people at the Times but they seem to be going the sensationalist nonsense route lately so realistic truth isn't that interesting to them.

If people want the proper, true, non sensationalised information then they should come to Beagles.

Dreading next week, what ever the judgment is, there will be so much bull bandied about to be countered.
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

To steal one of Nick's phrases, my head is in my hands.
                  Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I have to say I think I may avoid Supreme Court threads and read the FACTUAL information before making any decision myself as to what I think about it all.
                    ****disclaimer**** I know I will get involved but this is the hope that I don't.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X