• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gordon Brown gives bank victims the right to claim 'instant justice' Read more: http

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Brown gives bank victims the right to claim 'instant justice' Read more: http

Gordon Brown gives bank victims the right to claim 'instant justice' | Mail Online

Gordon Brown will this week clear the way for customers to launch multi-million-pound class action lawsuits against financial institutions for the first time.

Customers would also be entitled to claim 'instant justice' against any bank they accuse of ripping them off.

The measures, to be introduced in a Financial Services Bill on Thursday, are part of an effort by Mr Brown and Chancellor Alistair Darling to react to public anger over the banks' profligacy.

Billions of pounds of taxpayers' money have been used to bail them out but they have ramped up charges and City workers have continued to award themselves bonuses.

Under the proposed law changes, class actions would be allowed in cases such as the near-collapse of the Equitable Life insurance firm, which led to a million customers losing most of their retirement savings.

In current law, investors have to pursue claims for compensation individually through the courts at potentially huge costs.
    Under the plans, the Financial Services Authority (FSA) would charge a levy to banks to pay for 'instant justice' for customers.

A Treasury spokesman said: 'We will give the FSA the power, when it has had a number of complaints about a particular bank or a particular financial product, to set up a one-stop redress mechanism. 'This will mean people will not need to go to court.'

A Supreme Court ruling next week is expected to open the door to challenges on overdraft charges that could cost the banks up to £3billion.
    The court has been looking at whether the Office of Fair Trading is legally able to assess the fairness of charges for overdrafts.

Re: Gordon Brown gives bank victims the right to claim 'instant justice' Read more:

I wonder if this will become law BEFORE the next GE

Comment

Re: Gordon Brown gives bank victims the right to claim 'instant justice' Read more:

Considering that they would have three readings before parliament I think the answer is no.

Comment

I know ..........unless they use their executive powers as they have done with much of their other appalling regulation

Comment

Is it just a tactic for votes at the next GE... get the consumers on their side?

Comment

I don't think it is. It is the same as Mohammad Sarwar's Bill on excessive bank charges(no reply btw to the email I sent him asking why he withdrew the bill either) in that it gets headlines and would still have to pass the scrutiny of the Lords who would amend the bill and water it down. In time, we will probably forget about the bill anyway

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
              Is it just a tactic for votes at the next GE... get the consumers on their side?
              They are going to need a shed load of consumers!

Comment

BBA statement regarding Queen's Speech speculation

15/11/2009

On class actions & education:

"Banks do not ever wish to be in dispute with their customers and always hope to settle problems quickly and without either side needing to use the courts. They also believe that one of the best ways to prevent problems in the first place is for customers to fully understand the products and services they are taking out. This is why banks already put money into financial education and capability schemes and support including financial education in the national curriculum."

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                  BBA statement regarding Queen's Speech speculation

15/11/2009

On class actions & education:

"Banks do not ever wish to be in dispute with their customers and always hope to settle problems quickly and without either side needing to use the courts. They also believe that one of the best ways to prevent problems in the first place is for customers to fully understand the products and services they are taking out. This is why banks already put money into financial education and capability schemes and support including financial education in the
                  national curriculum."

Do they? since when? I know my children are older but I dont remember them getting much education on financial matters . If I did not help them they would not have a clue.
                  "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
                    Do they? since when? I know my children are older but I dont remember them getting much education on financial matters . If I did not help them they would not have a clue.
                    DITTO

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
                      National Curriculum | Economic wellbeing and financial capability key stage 3

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X