• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UPI's bank charge claims don't stand up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPI's bank charge claims don't stand up

UPI's bank charge claims don't stand up - Investigations

UPI's bank charge claims don't stand up

By Andrew Penman on June 4, 2009 12:01 AM in Investments

Delivering an email by hand was odd - but we were left with no choice.
    We sent three messages to UPI (UK) Limited, which claims to help reclaim unfair bank charges, and received no reply at all.
    So we printed the email and took it to director Julie Penhalagan in Skewen, South Wales.

We wanted answers for Brenda Platt of Chorley, Lancs, who was cold-called by UPI reps and told she was in line for £1,000 in compensation after six years of bank charges.
    The caller then asked for Brenda's bank details, before asking her to pay £49 for its information pack.
    We wanted to know:
    * How did UPI calculate that Brenda might be in line for £1,000 compo if it didn't have her account details?
    * Why it thought she'd been overcharged for six years without having these details?
    * How it got her number - Brenda's ex-directory?
    Despite being the sole director, Julie Penhalagan, 42, couldn't answer questions about UPI - "one of the market leaders in bank refunds". according to its website "with an impeccable track record".
    She referred us to the manager, husband Keith, 45.
    "We use several call centres in India, Africa and Wales who have a script," he told us.
    "The caller asks if they have been overcharged by their bank in the last six years.
    "If they say they have been charged, we give £1,000 as an example because if they were charged £30 a month for six years that's more than £1,000."
    He said they buy details of potential customers from data agencies and sometimes ring people who are registered with the Telephone Preference Service.
    "It shouldn't happen but it does through call centres," he said.
    As for their success rate in getting refunds, Keith maintained: "I'd say 50% have their money and 50% are waiting."
    Online, UPI is accused of "immoral trickery" and one blogger points out you can get the same information it provides for free elsewhere.
    Keith responded: "My answer to any blog is if you're not man enough to put your name to something it can't be true."
    He said one reason for the attacks was another firm was using UPI's name.
    But why is Keith Penhalagan not a director, when he clearly knows more about it than his wife?
    We think we can answer that.
    In 2007 a previous firm of his, K&M Marketing, was exposed by BBC Wales consumer programme X-Ray for inflicting unwanted mobile phones on consumers, followed by unwanted bills.
    - Coincidentally Trading Standards has just warned people contacted by bank charge reclaim firms: "Why pay for a service you can get for nothing?"
    The watchdogs in West Sussex said hundreds of firms offer this service but you can submit a claim for a refund from your bank yourself free - for advice call Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506.
    It adds: "Never respond to an uninvited call and never give out bank details over the telephone."

Re: UPI's bank charge claims don't stand up

Exactly my point and my own experience with Cento Client Review, they told me I would receive £3k refund, but how could they know how much I was entitled too, they have not got access to my bank or mortgage account details. They also called me on an ex directory phone number, when asked where did you obtain my telephone number they told me the FSA told them to phone me, yes right on, why would the FSA have my details? In fact every question I asked of Cento did not ring true - so why oh why do people believe what a call centre person is telling them is beyond belief.

BBC 1, also did a piece recently on Claims Management Companies, one of the comsumers that they interviewed paid his money last March and as yet has not received a penny.
    http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...ewpost&t=17479

Cento Client Review is another Claims Management Company that run from a Swansea Call Centre in the same region as UPI.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X