• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cyprus ruling hits second home-owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyprus ruling hits second home-owners

The European court of justice yesterday awarded a Greek Cypriot refugee the right to win back land he was forced to flee when war partitioned the island in 1974, in a landmark ruling with possible ramifications for thousands of second homeowners in northern Cyprus.
    The decision, announced nearly five years after Meletis Apostolides sought recourse through the courts to reclaim property that was subsequently sold to a British couple, is expected to encourage other refugees to seek similar restitution. It could also have a profound impact on crucial talks to reunify Cyprus.
    Met with euphoria in the island's internationally recognised Greek-controlled south and consternation in its breakaway Turkish-run north, the ruling overturns a judgment made by the high court in London that supported the British couple's ownership of the property and questioned the ability of a Greek Cypriot court to demand that it be returned to the refugee.
    Linda and David Orams appealed to the tribunal - appointing Cherie Booth, the wife of the then prime minister Tony Blair, to defend them - after a court in the island's divided capital, Nicosia, ordered the couple to not only compensate Apostolides but demolish the dream home they had built on the land.
    When they failed to comply, the Greek Cypriot vowed to exploit the island's membership of the EU and take the case to its highest legal body.
    "I am very much pleased," the architect, whose family still owns the title deeds to the land, said yesterday. "The decision is what we expected." The ruling paves the way for Apostolides to pursue a claim for compensation in the UK, where his lawyers have said they will fight to have the Orams' assets seized.
    "The recognition and enforcement of the judgments of the Cypriot court cannot be refused in the United Kingdom," the EU tribunal said. "The fact that the land concerned is situated in an area over which the government does not exercise effective control ... does not preclude the recognition and enforcement of those judgments in another member state."
    About 200,000 Greek Cypriots were forcibly displaced when the Turkish army invaded the island and seized its northern third after an Athens-backed coup aimed at uniting it with Greece. Historically inhabited by Greeks, northern Cyprus was home to very few Turkish Cypriots at the time. Before the invasion prompted a population exchange on either side of the island's UN-manned ceasefire line, land registries show that about 82% of properties in the area belonged to Greeks.
    After the invasion many properties were sold by Turkish Cypriots to foreigners, with Britons leading the scramble to snap up real estate at bargain prices. Records show about 6,000 UK citizens owning holiday retreats in the territory.
    "The impact of this [decision] could be enormous," said James Ker-Lindsay, a political expert on Cyprus at the London School of Economics. "After this, every Briton in Greek Cypriot property in northern Cyprus faces the real prospect of legal action through the UK courts." If other Greek Cypriots followed suit, it could have a "profound impact" on talks to reunify the island's communities, he added.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2009 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...

Re: Cyprus ruling hits second home-owners

Ever since the illegal invasion in the 70s & the selling of property belonging to the dispossessed Greeks, when asked a number of times, I have warned against buying - nor can I imagine have I been alone in my warnings.

Now those who disregarded such warnings together with the constant entreaties of the Greek authorities not to buy have only themselves to blame I'm afraid

The Greeks owners were never even compensated & the buyers knew it so shame on them as far as I'm concerned

Comment

My dad has a holiday home in cyprus (south) he was offered a cheaper one in the north of Cyprus but he knew ot would end up like this so he brought in the south. So many people whinging now about this but they knew the score they should not have purchased anything with dodgy history.
      Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
      Me VS Abbey Win
      BIL HSBC Credit Card
      BIL EGG
      BIL HSBC Loan
      BIL PPI Win

Comment

Quite Moch Good on your dad

Comment

I know I sound thick, but does this apply to just old buildings, or does it apply to new build as well. The reason I ask is my best friend bought a place in Esenteppe (I think thats how its spelt) in the North.

Its an apartment in a complex by the way.

Comment

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that greeks can claim back their land sooooo if the new flat is built on someones land and they claim it back then the ancestrial land will win out.
            Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
            Me VS Abbey Win
            BIL HSBC Credit Card
            BIL EGG
            BIL HSBC Loan
            BIL PPI Win

Comment

Thanks for that Mocha, best I inform my friend and get them to investigate.

Comment

It applies to ALL property, new or old, if built on Greek owned land. Not only will they have to hand it back they will also have to pay compensation INCLUDING backdated rent

Comment

Is there not a case to answer for those Turkish Cypriots who sold 'stolen property' to the British in the first place?
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Of course there is but 2 wrongs don't make a right & anyone who bought knew the risks If they didn't then buying anywhere abroad they should have checked

The point is a lot of people were deprived of their homes their land & in most cases their living Therefore like the return of Jewish property taken during the II World War it should be returned & compensation paid

If they want to sue the Turks then sobeit but I doubt they'll be successful unless they use the membership of the EU as a bargaining chip, a strategy that might work

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X