• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Essex councillors set up own bank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex councillors set up own bank

The county council in Essex is to set up a bank to help firms struggling to get finance during the recession.

More...

Re: Essex councillors set up own bank

Essex councillors set up own bank

The bank would be the first run by a council for more than 30 years

Essex County Council is setting up a bank to help firms struggling to get finance during the recession.
    The council is setting aside £50m for loans of up to £100,000 for small and medium-sized businesses which have been trading for at least a year.
    The bank is being created under powers which councils have to promote the economic well-being of their area.
    "Bank of Essex" could be set up within a year after going through all the necessary legal and regulatory work.
    Banking giant
    BBC News local government correspondent John Andrew says the council sees the move as a shift away from a remote centralised system of banking to one more responsive to local needs.
    The initiative will work in partnership with banking giant Santander, making it the first council-run bank for more than 30 years.
    The Birmingham Municipal Bank, established during World War I, survived until 1976.
    The council already has an award-winning £1.5m scheme which has seen closed post offices reopen in the county.

Comment

I heard this on the radio this morning, i wonder if other local authorities are doing the same and what the terms are?

We spoke to barclays about getting one of these loans that are supposedly for helpingbusinesses, unfortunaltey the T&C do not acutally make them thta attractive if you have a choie of some sort. Currenrtly we do but many others wont have i guess.

Glenn

Comment

nice work saffy

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn UK View Post
          I heard this on the radio this morning, i wonder if other local authorities are doing the same and what the terms are?

We spoke to barclays about getting one of these loans that are supposedly for helpingbusinesses, unfortunaltey the T&C do not acutally make them thta attractive if you have a choie of some sort. Currenrtly we do but many others wont have i guess.

Glenn
          I shouldn't imagine it will be all cut and dried TBH not with these on board
          'The initiative will work in partnership with banking giant Santander'

Comment

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
            nice work saffy
            Your welcome :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
              I shouldn't imagine it will be all cut and dried TBH not with these on board
              'The initiative will work in partnership with banking giant Santander'
              I doubt it also, my partner and our accountants dealt with the bank, barclays in this case.

what at first dounded too good tobe true, did in fact turn out to be so.

We didnt proceed with it as we didint need it but it was clear that it was not as simple as it sounded.

Glenn

Comment

They may well be using Santander as their clearing bank, perhaps.

Comment

Oh this will work.

The rotten borough: Council finds dozens of employees 'involved in rip-off scams' | Mail Online

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X