• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The science of buying a bargain appliance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The science of buying a bargain appliance

Marc Lockley is the Negotiator. This week he looks at the best ways to save money when buying electrical goods and appliances

Household bills are on the up, so saving money where you can is more important than ever. From practical appliances to state-of-the-art HD televisions, electrical goods can burn a hole in your pocket. However, some attention to detail and preparation can help you get the product you want at a price you can afford – often saving hundreds of pounds in the process. Here is how to negotiate the best deal.

Be like a swan

Electrical goods are often immediate purchases. For example, your oven has packed up so you spend an afternoon frantically scouring the stores for a replacement, knowing full well that if you don't buy one you could be eating microwaved dinners for the next fortnight. If it is an urgent purchase, act like a swan: underneath the body may be going into overdrive, but on the surface all is graceful and calm. Do not let the salesperson know your urgency – it is unlikely they will offer you a discount if you do.

Prepare for success

A prepared negotiator is a successful negotiator; get the basics right and you'll be well on your way to saving money. Imagine you are looking for a dishwasher (although the same tactics apply to all electrical goods). First you need to choose your model. Do this by listing the things the item must have and those it would be nice to have. For example, a dishwasher list might read:

Must-haves
    • Fully-integrated
    • Must be a certain size, eg H85 x W60 x D60cm
    • Minimum 'B' energy efficiency
    • Under £275

Nice-to-haves
    • Programme for glasses/delicates
    • Time delay
    • 'A' energy efficiency
    • Under £225 (including delivery)

Do your research

Visit price comparison sites to help you choose a model within your budget. There are several sites where you can search for the best prices on goods – either on specific items or models. Moneysupermarket.com's shopping section and Kelkoo include reviews of products and users' ratings of the retailers providing them, as well as listing prices. PriceRunner also has readers' reviews of stores. Search at least three sites because many have partnerships with retailers and are not independent. From the results, choose your favourite model and have another as your back-up. As a final check, use a search engine to independently see if there is a better price available.

Beware of hidden costs

Take into account charges for delivery, disposing of your old dishwashers and so on, as the hidden extras add up. If your favourite store or dealer charges for these services don't let that put you off, as this is one of the easiest areas to negotiate a discount.

Get your timing right

The current state of the housing market is putting a damper on sales of many household goods, so stores will be keen to gain your business. To make them even keener, try to pick a quiet trading day – perhaps a Monday or Tuesday afternoon – if you can. Even a Saturday may be a good choice if the weather is warm and sunny as the parks and seaside resorts tend to be crowded, but the shops empty.

Approach the underdog

Visit or call the second best-priced shop and approach a senior member of staff. Make sure you have prepared what to say. This example probably won't feel very natural, so think about how you can say it in a way that feels comfortable:
    You: "I'm thinking of replacing my current dishwasher and see you have the 161E in stock, which you're selling for £275. [Name of another store] has the same model for £245; I have a budget of £220, would you be able to meet that?"
    Seller: "No sir, but we could match the other store."
    You: "I assume that includes delivery and disposal?" [It didn't, but salespeople do not like to say no.]
    Seller: "It was not included. However, we will deliver and dispose for that price."
    You: "I would have thought, if I went to [the other store] it would offer me a better price to get the sale. Could you do a little better?"
    Seller: "If you buy now, then we could possibly knock a bit more off."

Armed with a new deal, speak to the other shop and have a similar conversation, adding in the new offer and your proposal. When you have managed to get the price as low as you can, see if you can get something extra. Saying something like "If you give me 24 dishwasher tablets, I will buy now", could save you a few extra pounds.

Challenge the Negotiator

In two weeks Marc will offer tips on how to cut the cost of a holiday. As well as general tips, he will help one reader get a better deal on their trip away. If you want to take part, email us at money.editor@guardianunlimited.co.uk

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2009 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X