• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is there any good defence for this bank worker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any good defence for this bank worker?

Bank employee charged with fraud

March 26, 2009

A bank employee has been charged with dishonestly obtaining £10,286 from a branch of HSBC in Reading.
    Helen Bamber, 21, of Rosecroft Way, Shinfield, appeared at Reading Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday charged with dishonestly obtaining the money through refunded bank charges to her partner’s account between January 4, 2005, and January 15, 2007.
    She is also charged with committing fraud by abusing her position as a bank employee intending to make a gain by refunding bank charges for Matthew Cowles between January 15, 2007, and February 29, 2008.
    She is due to return to Reading Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, April 8, when the case is due to be committed to crown court.
    Bamber was granted bail on condition she comply with Drug Intervention Programme appointments.

Bank employee charged with fraud - News - getreading - Reading Evening Post

Re: Is there any good defence for this bank worker?

Does this mean she sped up his charges claim or something else?
    Luminol x

Comment

My Heart sank when I read the bit about drugs.

I was thinking how to help based on the fact that if she had only refunded the charges & interest we could help.

Push it to + Statutory maybe.

You might even apply budgies logic on the unjust enrichment to round things up.

That would be an interesting case to defend and possibly over turn the Halliday-v- HBOS Queens bench decision as a bonus [where for my money the ruling was that there was no case to answer (as the bank had "refunded" charges & Interest & Statutory)

Haliday got out maneuvered by DLA Piper. That’s just my opinion others may well differ.]

On the other hand if she has pinched the money and dressed it up as a bank charge refund some might say that is almost as bad as dressing up a bank charge as a service.

I am sure justice will prevail.

No body would apply this formula:

Theft=Bankcharge=Service fee

LOL
      The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

I am guessing that she authorised the refund of her partners bank charges without going through the proper channels. Only a guess though

Comment

Originally posted by PKea View Post
          I am guessing that she authorised the refund of her partners bank charges without going through the proper channels. Only a guess though
          Hope it was just that for her sake, had it been that i am sure that it would have been handled internally. What say you natty?
          The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

I think that is correct as well. I have to say my heart sank when I read about the drug thing. I hope it was not inter related. She would have been sacked for gross misconduct and because there was refund and therefore fraudulently done so, it was passed onto the police.

Comment

'refund'

Then the gist of the matter is that she didn't do anything wrong. She did just what the bank has been doing for ages.......... there was no loss to the bank therefore no theft. IMHO the fact that she knew the victim is neither here nor there

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X