• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ofgem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ofgem

From Motley Fool site...

Yesterday, energy regulator Ofgem agreed that gas and electricity companies can now insist that new customers (including those switching between energy suppliers) enter into long-term contracts. In other words, Ofgem has ditched the rule which ties customers to energy suppliers for just four weeks.
    Of course, energy suppliers will aim to cash in on the withdrawal of the four-week rule by insisting that new customers sign up to broadband-style agreements lasting twelve or even eighteen months. In addition, power firms will be allowed to charge financial penalties when customers prematurely terminate these contracts. In short, the vital energy market will migrate to similar terms and conditions as those found in the broadband and mobile-phone markets.
    There is some method in Ofgem's madness: it claims that the move to longer-term contracts will promote fuel efficiency. It hopes that removing the four-week rule will encourage energy suppliers to improve energy-efficiency measures, such by installing 'smart' meters, loft insulation and energy-efficient boilers in homes. At present, there is no incentive for energy suppliers to invest in energy-saving devices in customers' homes, as they could lose these customers at a month's notice.
    Frankly, I think that Ofgem has been duped, no doubt by the high-pressure lobbying and spin used by big firms when they want to improve their profitability at the expense of consumers. Thus, I expect energy firms to introduce long-term contracts without delay, but to hold fire when it comes to investing in energy-efficiency measures. As the latter isn't tied to the former, power firms have a lovely get-out clause.
    As a committed environmentalist, I'm all in favour of reducing energy usage and the associated pollution, but my personal view is that Ofgem seems to have lost its marbles. The blindingly obvious outcome of this rule change will be fewer consumers switching gas and electricity suppliers, reduced competition, and higher energy bills for the UK as a whole.
    Call me a cynic, but market deregulation always leads to two things: a financial bonanza for the players, and greater consumer abuse. Indeed, although wholesale energy prices have been falling steeply since late 2006, energy firms have hardly rushed to lower the prices paid by consumers, so they can't be trusted to act in our interests, right?
    Furthermore, ditching the four-week rule will lead to a huge raft of new tariffs and services being launched, making it even harder to compare value for money. I expect the members of the Energy Retail Association are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of even richer rewards for themselves and their shareholders.
    So, nice work, Ofgem. In the words of Homer Simpson: "D'oh"!
    Pearls of Wisdom.

Be true to yourself and be strong.
    Be happy with whatever life has dealt you.
    You can never have too many friends... or too many shoes.

Isn't it a shame that the whole of the UK customer base doesn't just stand up and say "business on my terms or not at all"

Wondered why I had someone knocking on my door last night trying to sell me elec/gas package, thanks Mad, at least I'm ready for the follow up call now.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X