• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Act To Cancel Credit Card Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Act To Cancel Credit Card Debt

I found this article in a newspaper section under finance when I was on the train last Friday. Is there any mileage in pursuing.............

Sorry the article did not copy and past that well, but the gist is there.

Legal loophole may write off your credit-card bill
    ^••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• H
    Act to cancel debt

CREDIT AGREEMENTS with­in the UK are regulated undertheCpnsumerCred-it Act l974.This includes credit cards, unsecured loans, car finance and secured loans up to £25,000. Regu­lation under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 was intended to provide the consumer with a framework ensur­ing that relevant information was provided; the intention was to enable the consumer to make an informed decision when purchasing any credit related products.
    The 1974 act includes numerous
    clauses that define, among many
    other terms and information that
    should be included within
    the agreement and
    the way in which it
    should be author­
    ised. If the agree­
    ment hasn't been
    executed correctly,
    it enables the con­
    sumer to challenge _
    the validly of the agree- ~
    ment. If it can be demonstrated
    that the agreement is unenforceable, it
    is possible to write-off the loan or credit
    card balance.
    A common failing by the lender is that under section 77 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (duty to give informa­tion to debtor under fixed-sum credit agreement) consumers have a right to request their original agreement from their lenders, however many lend­ers are unable to provide the original agreements. This makes it very difficult for the lenders to prove that the debt is repayable. Other common problems relate to terms and conditions which may not have signatures.
    Many companies now operate in the financial claims market and will readily advise you whether or not your credit card meets the criteria to be chal­lenged, generallyyou must have signed your agreement before April 6,2007 and the balance should be in excess of £5,000. If these initial criteria are

met, then a more detailed examination of your agreements can take place to establish whether they are enforceable or not.
    Companies offering claims-manage­ment services should either be directly regulated by the Ministry of Justice or operate as an introducer to a duly authorised company. Such companies operate in many different ways, some have in-house legal teams, others have an external panel of solicitors. The basic principles behind handling your claim are the same, but the service you can expect will very much depend on the individual company handling your claim.
    Each set-up has its pros and
    cons. A company offering , in-house legal repre­sentation may work far more slowly than one with a panel of solicitors; a
    panel of solicitors can cope with large volumes of cases
    much more effectively. For obvious reasons, this
    is a very popular service, given the hardship that so much of the UK population is experiencing at present. Demand for card reviews is growing daily. It is important to make sure that the company you select can cope with the increased demand that the market is experiencing.
    Many claims-management companies ask for an up-front fee and this fee varies from business to business. Claims-man­agement companies whose up-front fee is small can initially sound like a more appealing proposition, but custom­ers should take time to choose the best deal for their needs. Small up-front fees usually indicate that the firm will rely on charging clients a proportion of the settlement that they negotiate with the lender. This can prove quite costly. A larg­er up-front fee may at first seem more expensive but it often works out cheap­er. Consumers should be able to find a claims-management company offering a package that best suits their individual needs, but it pays to shop around.

Re: Act To Cancel Credit Card Debt

Yep, this is a simple continuation of Rankine and Cartel actions.
    Shame really, as they continually refer to loopholes in CCA when it's NOTHING of the sort !!

Comment

grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sends desperate people to the clutches of people like the Rankines and that company I won't mention.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I will, CARTEL CLIENT RIPOFF
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

pmsl.

I suppose it makes the information more public which is good, if they came and found sensible free help like here, OTR, CCS etc (not CAB or CCCS as they seem to act more for the banks (sorry but they do))- its just a shame people just get sucked in by false claims these companies make and end up in more debt.

Actually theres a couple people have seen on MSE with big debts and DCAs after them following using CMCs for claims for c/cards and charges etc. Maybe we should try get a story out on the dark side of using these CMCs ?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

I wouldn't say CAB and CCCS act more for the Banks, but they are very much for the Moral Obligations rather than the legal ones.

I had problems posting on MSE I ended up getting abusive PM's saying I was assisting in debt avoidance.
            Shame really, but there you go.
            Does seem odd at MSE is/was a vocal opponent of the bank charges campaign.

Comment

I’m sure if it resulted in a "media moment for martin" there would be some interest.

To be fair he has "banged the drum" for Bank Charges and made many more people aware of the fact that banks and credit card companies have little or no loyalty to their customers and Banks can be held to account.

On the other hand I believe it would be media suicide for him to suggest people should not pay back money that they have charged on their credit cards and should therefore morally pay back (even if the contracts are flawed).

What would happen if the BBA advised banks not to pay back money they have "charged" to clients and should morally pay back?

Mmmmm!
              The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

Aye CAB & CCCS I guess the moral obligations yes, but they do just tell people to accept CCJs against them rather than defending ridiculous charges, which is how people like Restons have gotten away for so long with these £1200 odd ''collection charges'' Its not hard to defend things like that or ask questions. They will help get repayments at affordable amounts, and write off debts due to circumstances which is good and they are invaluable. But they are overstretched and don't help much with reclaiming or defending.

MSE can be funny, but they are good for the 'masses' and Martin has done a fantastic job of getting the basics out to the general public.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X