• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Motorist convicted of filming whilst driving has conviction overturned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorist convicted of filming whilst driving has conviction overturned

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No 4) Regulations 2003 came into force on 1 December 2003. They amend the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, by inserting Regulation 110 into the constructions and use regulations. Regulation 110 creates an offence for anyone who is using a mobile phone for the purposes of making or receiving a call or for some other interactive communication.

Ramsey Barreto had been caught by police filming a car accident whilst slowly driving past and was convicted by the Magistrates' Court. He appealed to the Crown Court earlier this year on the basis that the meaning of Regulation 110 (i.e. the 'interactive communication') does not prohibit all forms of mobile use whilst driving and instead, it was intended to prohibit drivers from texting, calling, and using the internet. Therefore the use of a camera is not an 'interactive communication' so there was no offence committed.

The Crown Court agreed and overturned the conviction and the Director of Public Prosecutions appealed that decision. The High Court has dismissed the DPP's appeal holding that the Crown Court was right to overturn the conviction. The High Court made it clear that this did not mean that Mr Barreto could not have committed another type of offence, such as careless or dangerous driving - so it isn't a blanket right to use your phone whilst filming.

I wouldn't ordinarily link to the Daily Mail due to their poor articles but it seems like they are the only site at the moment who have provided a substantial article. Of course I'll update the link to a more respectable website once one becomes available

Link to article

Link to judgment
    Last edited by R0b; 2nd August 2019, 14:28:PM. Reason: Article link to the Telepgraph
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X