• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BT's strange way of expressing sympathy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BT's strange way of expressing sympathy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008...umeraffairs-bt

BT's strange way of expressing sympathy

All Irene Clarke was trying to do was notify BT that her partner had died and to transfer the couple's account into her name.

Dauntlessly, she did battle with BT's infamous automated answer system, which is designed to swirl customers around a digital maze until they subside. Forty-five minutes of this earned her a call centre operative on the Indian subcontinent. Clarke explained her sad circumstances and requested that all future bills be addressed to her. The operative confirmed that she was a "known entity" on the account and agreed to amend the records.
    Shortly afterwards Clarke discovered that her phone line was dead. Sleuthing from a neighbour's house revealed that BT had terminated her account and allocated her a new number, which would become active at some unspecified time in the future. Within the hour Clarke's broadband connection also ceased and her service provider told her it would cost £40 and take seven to 10 days to reconnect her. An afternoon of frantic calls from the obliging neighbour's phone re-established her phone line, but with a different number. "I was halfway through making all the contacts necessary for arranging my partner's funeral and I was cut off from the world," says Clarke. "That phone number is my life line."

BT did eventually restore the old number, but not before sending a letter and two bills to Clarke's late partner, asking him to act as his own executor and assuring him that it wanted to make things "as easy as possible at this difficult time". However, the company insisted it could only afford £40 goodwill for the trauma, a gesture Clarke dimissed as insulting. The press office is made of softer tissue and, admitting that Clarke was a victim of "incorrect procedures", scrapes together £200. And when BT hears the sum is going to charity it soars to £500 plus a bouquet of flowers.

Re: BT's strange way of expressing sympathy

The exact same thing happened to me except it was 3 weeks before I got my broadband on as im not with BT for that and it was a week before I found that when they had reconnected me it was a different number which meant cancelling my original broadband account on my original land line number and starting again on my new one. When I phoned and complained they asked me if id done a survey today!! I hung up on them and im now going to complain, dont know who to yet, but I will. Just wondering if this is a regular occurance.

LavenderRose

Comment

Re: BT's strange way of expressing sympathy

Yes do complain - it will take time and effort and again it is the usual rule - do it in writing

Some time ago when we moved offices I phoned and confirmed all instructions in writing. It was a very simple proceedure just move our number to another unit on the same estate and they had 3 months notice of the day .

They still did not get it right and three days later we got a working phone and broadband.

After lots of complaining and sending copies of all correspondence I was offerd £50.00 compensation.

In the end I got it up to £225.00

So same old golden rules

Keep it in writing and persevere!

sccooby
      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X