• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

£75m childcare boost for families

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £75m childcare boost for families

Some 50,000 low-income families across England are to be offered £205 a week to pay for childcare so parents can get training to help them back to work.
    The £75 million programme will be available to couples where one parent works and the other wants to learn new skills which will help them in their search for a job.
    As well as free childcare, families will receive help from the Learning and Skills Council (LSC) to identify appropriate training courses.
    The support will be worth up £205 a week per child in London and £175 elsewhere in the country and will be paid directly to childcare providers. It will be available in the 67 local authorities with the highest numbers of eligible parents from January 2009 and extended across the country from September.
    Launching the three-year Free Childcare for Training and Learning for Work scheme, Children's Secretary Ed Balls said: "We are committed to eradicating child poverty and have already lifted 600,000 children out of poverty. This new programme will help families break out of the poverty trap.
    "High-quality, affordable childcare is vitally important. By making this offer we are helping parents who would otherwise find it difficult to get financial help for childcare, to gain the skills and the confidence they need to return to work."
    Minister for children and young people Beverley Hughes added: "We are committed to ensuring that high-quality, flexible and affordable childcare is available to every family, to give children the best start in life and to parents to balance work, training and study, and caring for their children."
    The LSC's national director of young people's learning and skills, Rob Wye, said: "Our research indicates that the costs of childcare are a major barrier to participation in learning.
    "This cost represents a significant obstacle for many families throughout the country and we therefore welcome the introduction of 'Free Childcare for Training and Learning for Work'."

Re: £75m childcare boost for families

Am I being awful when I ask "Can't they devise a scheme where people can afford to look after their own kids"?

Comment

I used to get Child Tax Credits to pay for childcare (think I got £72 a week) and also from age 2 and a half (I think) you get free 3/4 hours nursery a day anyway. Thats plenty IMO.

I think you are right Nelly. bloody destruction of the family is what it is.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst
        I used to get Child Tax Credits to pay for childcare (think I got £72 a week) and also from age 2 and a half (I think) you get free 3/4 hours nursery a day anyway. Thats plenty IMO.
        In our area 3yr old get free nursery place 5 sessions a week (3.5 hrs a day)

If you want do do a college/training course, with a qualification at the end, the majority are 4 hr sessions, so that is no good having childcare for less than that.

Even if you did the short courses, which can be 2 hr sessions, you still have allow for dropping kids off, travel, picking kids up etc

Originally posted by Amethyst
        I think you are right Nelly. bloody destruction of the family is what it is.
        Are you saying parents shouldnt work, and stay at home with their kids all day?

Originally posted by Enaid
        Am I being awful when I ask "Can't they devise a scheme where people can afford to look after their own kids"?
        Not sure how this relates to the OP,as it is not the families who are getting this money, but the childcare providers. So parents cant use it as another means of geting money out of the governent. Although no dount they will get round it somehow by getting free childcare and not attending training.

If you want to stay at home and look after your kids then that is fine.
        This scheme will allow those, who want to, an opportunity to gain skills to get a job or qualifications.

Comment

If parents want to et off their backsides and go to college then you will find that the college has a fund specifically for childcare fees anyways....I went back to college when my boys were 1 and 3 yrs old and they went to full time private nursery and my college paid the fees..........So its no excuse really and if you really want to better your kids futures then there is help out there for you.........it also shows a good example to your kids..........Mummy did it so I can do it.............Its worked for me.......my daughter is 18 and has a 3 month old baby and has gone to college to do a beauty course and my step daughter has just completed her hairdressing qualification while juggling the fact she was a single mum with a 5 yr old son and being heavily pregnant.........Their attitude is .............If my mum did it with 7 kids at home then I can do it.....And I am glad they have that attitude and am very proud of them..........Each to their own but nothing ventured nothing gained..........While I fully understand that some mums want to stay at home with the kids you will find that most 'full time' courses are actually only about 14 hours a week on site anyways and the hours are very child(and school) friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by PKea View Post
            Are you saying parents shouldnt work, and stay at home with their kids all day?
            Nope.

As Gobs says there is help out there already if you want to train. Theres support and help out there for parents who want to train/work.

I don't understand what this new proposal is meant to do. I had free childcare from age 3 (sorry thought it was 2 and a half) and cause i went to a private montessori school they did 9.30 to 2 - the free nursery places paid for 3.5 hrs, childcare element of WFTC paid for the other 2 hours a day. They did attend from just over 2 but only for 3 hours a day and I was lucky in that I had help paying for them to go. I have always thought bringing the free nursery places down to age 2 would be a good idea.

I do believe a parent should stay at home till the kids are 2 but thats just my opinion and choice and i wouldnt enforce that view on others. I think that should be encouraged and enabled rather than always trying everything to get the parents away from the child as soon as possible.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

This is where its coming in first

LSC Region:
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

All I am saying is, I think really most mums would like to be able to stay at home and look after their own kids. I don't think many would go out to work and pay others to look after them, if it were not for financial pressure.
                Yes I think it's good that some mums want to better themselves, either through further education, or by being better qualified when and if they do return to work.

I have had 2 kids as you know and have never been out of work for more than a couple of months in all my working life.
                I did 10yrs on evenings before we went in the pub as OH came in from work I went out and he did his bit with the kids.
                I have no qualifications whatsoever, but I always manage to find a job, even though I am not in my prime either.
                With the retail and leisure industries open for most of the day and night now, I am sure more families could work together and cope with kids and work.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X