• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Sainsbury's slammed for selling beer at 66p a pint in Bank Holiday booze price cut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sainsbury's slammed for selling beer at 66p a pint in Bank Holiday booze price cut

A leading supermarket chain has been accused of selling alcohol at 'frighteningly' low prices this Bank Holiday, offering beer for the equivalent of just 66p a pint.

More...

Re: Sainsbury's slammed for selling beer at 66p a pint in Bank Holiday booze price cu

Not sure about anyone else, but on the rare occasions I have ventured into Sainsbury's and I actually did have that misfortune on Monday, it was not exactly overrun with 15 year olds buying cheap Stella.

It was full of families doing their shopping and perhaps trying to pick up a bit of a bargain in the form of beer that they could then enjoy sitting in their garden perhaps with friends or family and not to hang around on a street corner wearing baseball caps.

Drinking is fast becoming the new Gatso.

Comment

Re: Sainsbury's slammed for selling beer at 66p a pint in Bank Holiday booze price cu

Originally posted by Amy View Post
      Drinking is fast becoming the new Gatso.
      You have no idea how true this is.

Right now, as I type, EU officials are plotting to make drinking as socially unacceptable as smoking.

The campaigns to combat the effects of ‘passive smoking’ are widely credited for Europe’s growing number of smoking bans. Now alcohol is in the sights of the public health lobbyists and they have invented the concept of ‘passive drinking’ as their killer argument.

As far back as 2004, the Alcohol Policy Network (APN), a Commission-funded Eurocare project was formed and later that year they met in Warsaw. Minutes from that meeting show there was a strong consensus on the propaganda, or ‘advocacy’, merits of finding an equivalent term to ‘passive smoking’ for the alcohol debate. ‘The effect of alcohol on non-drinkers could be used more in advocacy. A need for effective terminology for this point was identified (eg. “passive drinking”) and APN members were invited to submit any suggestions they had in this regard.’

By October 2004, the theme was established in a Eurocare submission to the Commission. ‘Alcohol not only harms the user, but those surrounding the user, including the unborn child, children, family members and the sufferers of crime, violence and drink-driving accidents: this can be termed environmental alcohol damage or “passive drinking”.’

So there you have it, European officials are plotting to make ‘passive drinking’ a reality.

Comment

I wish I'd been in Sainsbury's this weekend.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X