• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mum panics after '£8,000 charges'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mum panics after '£8,000 charges'

News RSS Feed

Mum panics after '£8,000 charges' error

9:11am Tuesday 26th August 2008
    Comments (0) Have your say »
    By Staff reporter »

A TECHNICAL glitch led to panic for a Northwich mum who thought she faced £8,000 bank charges for being overdrawn by £30.
    Mum-of-one Donna Gill got a letter from Barclays warning her that the amount would be debited from her account immediately but she later found out that an extra zero had been added to the sum, which should have just read £8.00.
    It wasn’t funny during the hour when I was trying to get throught to them when I thought we wouldn’t be able to pay the rent and would be homeless.
    Mum-of-one Donna Gill
    The 28-year-old, who lives with her partner and two-year-old son Joshua in Park Road, Castle, said: “I just felt like the whole world was caving in.
    “It’s laughable now – even banks make typing errors, no-one’s perfect.
    “it wasn’t funny during the hour when I was trying to get throught to them when I thought we wouldn’t be able to pay the rent and would be homeless.”
    Donna spent £14 worth of credit on her mobile phone trying to sort out the mistake, managing to cook and eat tea while she was on hold.
    She said: “It’s a premium rate 0845 number so all my credit went.
    “At first I was on hold for 20 minutes then when I got through I was cut off.
    “The second time I was on hold for that long I cooked tea and ate it.
    “It cost £14 to sort out an £8 charge but I was just so relieved to hear him say it was only £8.”
    She was told that hundreds of letters had been sent out with similar errors.
    A spokesman for Barclays said: “The good news is that clearly no-one has been debited that amount of money, Donna is a testament to that.
    “All I can say is that we are aware of the situation and the matter has been resolved.
    “It was a technical issue and we apologise and want to reassure customers they will not be charged that sum of money.”
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Mum panics after '£8,000 charges'

If that were me, I'd be adding the cost of those mobile calls into my claim.

Comment

Barclays should have done that automatically along with a token of goodwill for scaring the bejesus out of the poor woman... ..........but then again...they are Barclays.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

What I find telling is that Barclays feel the need to reassure their customers that thay ''will not be charged that sum of money'', indicating that they think some of their hard pressed account holders would.

Comment

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmm excuse me for being ignorant but she must have known the letter was sent in error...............I f i had never had charges and got that sort of letter I would know something was wrong.............You lot are so cynical...............pmsl

Comment

What it demonstrates, if such a demonstration is necessary, is that charges and these letters are generated entirely automatically. Any manual input at all would have prevented this in an instant.

Comment

Def a claim for compensation for distress, inconvenience or other non-financial loss.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X