• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Saffy's Parents Gravestone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saffy's Parents Gravestone

My dad passed away in 1994, mum and myself organised a headstone with his name, dates and sentiments on it (you all know the stuff), plus a space for mums name, dates and sentiments for when her time came.
    Well mum died 2 years ago and because things were tight its only been this year that I could realistically afford to go ahead with having the headstone updated. In April/May I contacted the local stonemasons next to the cemetary (they did it originally) to add mums details, they sent me the quote and I had to send them a cheque for just under £800 so that they would proceed, the cheque was cashed straight away.
    There was a small hiccup as we hadn't transferred the ownership over, flaming Havering council charged us £90 for that priviledge too.
    I was informed that the work would then go ahead and take around 8-10 weeks to complete. This was before I went to Egypt so that was definately early June, I been down to the grave a few times, but what with having a couple of visits to Cyprus and work etc I lost count of the weeks.
    This morning I thought, its a nice day lets have a ride out and visit the grave, and guess what I found...... they havn't done the work AND there is a tag on the stone saying that its unsafe.
    I laid some flowers, said me words of love, got in the car and broke down completely, I am so, so bloody annoyed and upset, it feels worse than when they died.
    So what do you think I should do ?
    I'm definately going to phone them tomorrow, but I'm not the subtlest of people and being an Essex bird I am likely to lose it completely and throw a few 'extra' words into the mix, so I shall try to behave, but I am furious at the moment.
    I'm thinking of following the call up with a letter as well, now my other half says I should remind them that they have benefitted from the money in their account all this time and its therefore grown interest.
    Am I in my rights to demand repayment of the monies, plus interest and demand they carry out the work free of charge, of course reminding them of their obligations and that they'd hate any adverse publicity, as they have caused me so much upset through their negligence, or should I just give in remind them that the job is still outstand and hope that they carry it out asap?
    Tags: None

Re: Saffy's Parents Gravestone

Re the unsafe bit---Hull Council doing same--& making people update em with metal rods to stabilise them--not cheap either

Turbo

Comment

It is called Topple testing read this article
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...avestones.html

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-have-to-go.do
      Last edited by enaid; 24th October 2010, 17:00:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
        My dad passed away in 1994, mum and myself organised a headstone with his name, dates and sentiments on it (you all know the stuff), plus a space for mums name, dates and sentiments for when her time came.
        Well mum died 2 years ago and because things were tight its only been this year that I could realistically afford to go ahead with having the headstone updated. In April/May I contacted the local stonemasons next to the cemetary (they did it originally) to add mums details, they sent me the quote and I had to send them a cheque for just under £800 so that they would proceed, the cheque was cashed straight away.
        There was a small hiccup as we hadn't transferred the ownership over, flaming Havering council charged us £90 for that priviledge too.
        I was informed that the work would then go ahead and take around 8-10 weeks to complete. This was before I went to Egypt so that was definately early June, I been down to the grave a few times, but what with having a couple of visits to Cyprus and work etc I lost count of the weeks.
        This morning I thought, its a nice day lets have a ride out and visit the grave, and guess what I found...... they havn't done the work AND there is a tag on the stone saying that its unsafe.
        I laid some flowers, said me words of love, got in the car and broke down completely, I am so, so bloody annoyed and upset, it feels worse than when they died.
        So what do you think I should do ?
        I'm definately going to phone them tomorrow, but I'm not the subtlest of people and being an Essex bird I am likely to lose it completely and throw a few 'extra' words into the mix, so I shall try to behave, but I am furious at the moment.
        I'm thinking of following the call up with a letter as well, now my other half says I should remind them that they have benefitted from the money in their account all this time and its therefore grown interest.
        Am I in my rights to demand repayment of the monies, plus interest and demand they carry out the work free of charge, of course reminding them of their obligations and that they'd hate any adverse publicity, as they have caused me so much upset through their negligence, or should I just give in remind them that the job is still outstand and hope that they carry it out asap?
        DON'T telephone them. (Have I made that clear enough?)

How many times must you be reminded of this?

You may demand whatever you wish although quite why you think you have a right to have your money back and get the work done is not clear. It is one or the other.

You ask "So what do you think I should do?" and I think you should request - in writing - a full refund and award the business to a company more deserving of the thick end of £1000.

Comment

Well I faxed them a very polite letter and have had a reply already.
          Apparently when you get the transfer of ownership done, its then up to (the customer) me to inform them that its done and then the work can go ahead, grrrrrrrrrrr I just wish that I'd been told that before and we could have avoided this upset and it could have been sorted. Bloody ridiculous, but that's council offices for you.
          Anyways I've called them now, had a chat and the work is going to proceed immediately.

Once that's done I'll feel that mum and dad are settled.

Thanks for your advice and support peeps.

Comment

I am pleased you got that sorted, but just wondered about the 'unsafe' notice do you have to do anyhting about that?

Comment

Thanks Di, apparently its there because it was moved when mum was buried and hadn't been fixed back properly until I've had the 'update' done on the stone, or paid for it to be 'reset'. It will be fixed properly now once all the work has been carried out.

Jeeez they get you every way don't they, charge for this, charge for that, next they'll be charging for the water that we get from the tap for the flowers, ridiculous.

Comment

Just when you think its over lol, got this letter on Friday, can you believe this ffs.

Dear Saffy

Re: Order No xxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxx Cemetary No:

We wish to advise you that the memorial work you required has now been completed and has been prepared for erection (see enclosed photo if applicable).

We have enclosed our invoice which needs to be settled before the memorial can be erected. Upon receipt of the monies and the approved photo the memorial will be erected in approximately ten working days.

If you have any problems or concerned please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Here's the scan, take note of the Balance.

Comment

Its a b.ggar--same amount-ish when FIL had to have his family one done

Perhaps the phrase in my signature applies to you as well Sapphy

Comment

Well I'm tempted to send a £1 coin in the post or perhaps tomorrow night stick a pounds worth of 1p's through their letter box.

Comment

Blimmin hell Sapphy, it cost them more than a £1 to send that letter. i think it is disgraceful to send out letters like this for a £1.

Dont put cash through the door hun what ever you do a postal order is better. It will cost them more than a £1 to bank it.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                        Blimmin hell Sapphy, it cost them more than a £1 to send that letter. i think it is disgraceful to send out letters like this for a £1.

Dont put cash through the door hun what ever you do a postal order is better. It will cost them more than a £1 to bank it.
                        Thats what I was trying to get at, it will cost more to write the cheque and post it and deposit it in the bank, I'm not tight by any means and I fully understand the need to keep the books balanced, so I've sent the £1 in the form of a coin taped to a photocopy of the invoice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X