• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

GOV.UK vs HMRC conflicting advice. Do I need to send the IHT400?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOV.UK vs HMRC conflicting advice. Do I need to send the IHT400?!

I am dealing with my late father's estate and am shortly going to apply for Probate. He died 2 weeks ago sadly.

His total estate (Home he owned, UK bank accounts) inclusive of any money gifted in 7 years etc comes to ~ £550,000

His wife, my Mum, pre-deceased him and so everything she owned went to him. She therefore still has her £325,000 allowance. The property is will to his children which I believe adds another £175,000 allowance. All in all, an confirming with the GOV.UK calculator, we are not required to pay inheritance tax and can apply straight for Probate.

As far as I can see, this falls under "Excepted Estate" based on:
    "the estate is worth £650,000 or less and any unused threshold is being transferred from a spouse or civil partner who died first".

I've used the online checker too to get the gross, net and qualifying values. The government website tells me I can now "Complete the Probate Form" and that IHT400 is unnecessary.

---

What has stumped me (and I cannot find anywhere), is the above suggests I can "Move to Probate" because it is an excepted estate, BUT, don't I have to fill in forms IHT435, IHT436 as well (and they require the full IHT400).

I rang HMRC but wasn't convinced by their answer or maybe my articulation of the scenario.. They said you always have to send the IHT400 + many supporting forms 20 working days before applying for probate.. But the gov.uk website says I don't have to pay tax, nor send an IHT400.

I'm just very confused if I can apply for Probate (will HMRC allow this without me using the IHT435, 436 and 400 transfer forms in advance).

Appreciate any feedback or advice!
    Tags: None

The IHT 400 is not needed in this case. Send Probate application , death certificate ans Original Will to the Probate office, or apply online and just send Will a d death certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam101 View Post
      The IHT 400 is not needed in this case. Send Probate application , death certificate ans Original Will to the Probate office, or apply online and just send Will a d death certificate.
      Thank you.. this is also my understanding. I think maybe the rule is different if you need to claim the £175k RNRB.. in my case, I don't as the transfer of the NRB is sufficient to cover the estate. I'll confirm with them (or try) Monday

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X