• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Gifting an inheritance from grandparents to parents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifting an inheritance from grandparents to parents

Hello,

About 5 years ago, my grandmother changed her will to give my mothers share of the inheritance to me - my mother was going through a prolonged and extremely messy divorce at the time, and I believe my grandmother was attempting to protect the money in some way by doing this. The understanding was that I would use the money (if my grandmother passed away) to help my mother, either by directly gifting her the funds, or by paying off her mortgage at a later date.

Fast forward to today, and my mothers divorce has completed, and my grandmother is still alive, but I’m worried about the legal and tax implications on myself and my mother under this current arrangement (the will has remained as it was changed 5 years ago).

If my grandmother passed away now, can I legally give this money to my mother now her divorce has completed? Will there be significant tax implications on the amount of money my mother would ultimately receive by me gifting her it, rather than reinstating her on the will? Will me playing my part in this negatively effect me from a tax perspective in any way?

Any information/wisdom anyone might have on this would be hugely appreciated.

Tags: None

There is a system whereby you can rewrite that section of the will benefitting you so that it benefits your mother (deed of variation). It works.

Frankly, if the sums are large enough tp create a tax risk, they are large enough to justify taking direct lega;l advice. The exact answer, but for the deed of variation, requires a detailed look at the various parties' estates.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X