• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Moms partner allowed to live in house left in Will to children

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moms partner allowed to live in house left in Will to children

Hello,

My Mom sadly passed away recently. Her estate (including house) has been left to her 2 children (my sister and I). However her Will also stated her partner (no legal marriage etc) is allowed to live in the house as long as he keeps in good repair, pays all bills and upkeep and does not leave the house for an extended period of time.

Our issue is we do not have a good relationship with this man, he is not on the mortgage and has never paid towards the house or bills and now there is a huge grey area as to how we deal with this as the property has been legally left to us. He has been listed as a benefactor who can stop in the house but not own it. Ideally we would like him to leave to we can move on from the situation and sell the property. Could anyone offer any advice with this? Thank you
    Tags: None

Condolences on the passing of your mother

Is there an outstanding mortgage on the property, and if so in whose name?

Comment

Thank you.

No the mortgage was paid off 5 years ago, so it's mortgage free. He hadn't contributed anything to this mortgage, it may also be worth adding that he is still married, owns another property and has a large amount of savings.

Comment

I doubt there are any legal ways of forcing him out.
        Perhaps you could negotiate a compensatory deal with him, in which he agrees to vacate the house in return for a share in the sale proceeds.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X