• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with family home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with family home

My uncle has recently died, leaving no will. He is survived by my dad and the widow of their late brother. He lived in the family home that was originally bought by my nan who died in 1994 (also left no will).

I have just found out that when she died the title of the house was not changed, so the registration is still in her name. How will this work in terms of inheritance and the process for transferring ownership so the house can be sold?

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Hi Joe

Sorry for your loss.

des8 Can you please take a look and advise, many thanks.

Comment

Presumably your Grandfather passed away prior to your Grandmother.
      When your Grandmother died in 1994 were letters of administration obtained.
      You can find out here: https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Besides your father and 2 uncles, did your grandmother have any other children?

Did your uncle who has just passed leave a widow or children?

When did your other uncle pass away?
      Besides his widow did he leave any children?

Comment

Hello, thank you for your response. To answer your questions:

Yes, my granddad died before by nan. No letters of administration were obtained when she died (minimal assets other than the house).

No, my nan had no other children.

My uncle who has recently died left no widdow or children.

My other uncle had 2 children (both still alive) besides his widow.

Thank you again for your help.

Comment

So the rules of intestacy mean that your father is the one to apply for a grant of letters of administration.

This will be needed in respect of your late grandmother's estate so that he can deal with the house.
          Assuming the house is being sold its value is to be divided 3 ways, one third to each brother.
          The share passing to the brother who has just passed is then divided between your father and the estate of the other brother who left a widow and two children.

Comment

Thank you again. Is this a process that is doable ourselves. My father is very reluctant to pay for a probate solicitor. I do appreciate that the sale of the house will need the help of a conveyancer.

Comment

Assuming the family get along and aren't going to dispute matters there is no reason not to do it yourself.
              Just follow the instructions!
              https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-is-not-a-will

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X