• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Power of Attorney Records after donor’s death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power of Attorney Records after donor’s death

Can anyone help me? My sister had power of attorney over my late father’s finances. It has come to light since his death that she has been using his current account for her own financial gain. She has also used his credit card in the 3 weeks prior to his death to withdraw over £3k in cash. My father was very poorly towards the end and would not have had the mental faculty to agree to this. I know that she has acted fraudulently. His bank has advised me that as she had a power of attorney they cannot act. Do I have the right as an executor of his will (alongside my sister) to ask for the records she should have kept as an attorney when spending his money? Any advice welcome.
    Tags: None

If you have concerns regarding the misuse of a PoA you should refer them to the Office of Public Guardian

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have contacted the OPG who advised me that their jurisdiction ends once the donor dies.

Comment

If the OPG can't investigate the historic abuse of a deceased donor it doesn't leave many options.

As executor you are responsible for completing the IHT summary form, and this will include details of gifts etc made within the past 7 years.
        Based on that you should IMO be entitled to request an accounting of the expenditure.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I’ll look into this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X