• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

probate 10 years later

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probate 10 years later

Good afternoon to all, i have posted on here few months ago regarding my mothers property as she died intestate. There are four siblings and my sister has never left the parental home. So here we are now after going through probate, we now go to a solicitor to change the name from my mothers name to ours, only to find out my dads name is the only name on the deeds and my mothers has never even been on. Can anyone advise as to what we do now. Do we have to go back to probate with my dads details he has been dead 10 years now. All the probate we have done was in my mothers name as we had no idea dads name was the only one on the house. Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: probate 10 years later

There is no time limit for making an application for Probate - how did you deal with your Dad's estate at the time?

Comment

Hi Steve, thank you for prompt reply. When my dad died, my mum and sister were left living in the house. Mum must of thought dad had her name on mortgage as we all did, and we thought she had signed for the house once he had died. Obviously to us all now, my mum did nothing. My sister wants to continue living there as she says she has never left, but we are all a bit confused as to what we do now. We did the probate ourselves because we thought it was straight forward, but not sure what happens now with mums name not on deeds or land reg.

Comment

But did you get a Grant of Probate when your Dad died?

Comment

No, mum just carried on living as before in house.

Comment

You will need a Grant then in order to transfer ownership of the property. Sorry.

Comment

When you say grant Steve do you mean we have to go through probate again?

Comment

Thank you for all your advice Steve, much app.

Comment

I don't understand your question betty, sorry.

You have obtained Letters of Administration for your mum who died intestate, but no Grant of Probate was ever obtained for your dad, who died leaving a will?

You need a Grant of Probate to deal with your dad's estate, which includes the house.

Comment

Did your father leave a will? If so do you know where it is?
                    If there is a will you will need a grant of probate to settle his estate.
                    If there is no will you will need letters of administration.
                    When you have either of these you will be able to register the change of ownership of the house.

You mentioned a mortgage in you father's name..... was this redeemed on or prior to his passing?

Comment

No i am sorry Steve maybe i have confused you. Dad died intestate as well as mum.

Comment

Posts crossed!
                        You will need letters of administration to deal with your late father's estate.

Comment

Thank you Des, dad died intestate and when he died the mortgage had been paid off for many years.

- - - Updated - - -

Thankyou Steve i understand now.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanka for your help Steve.

Comment

The process for applying for Letters of Administration is exactly the same as that for getting a Grant of Probate. It is fairly straightforward and you should be able to do it yourself.

There is an overview here https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/overview

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X