• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate and property distribution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate and property distribution

Hi i am new here, so please correct me if i am not to sure of rules.
    My sister whom is now 60yrs old has never left my parents home. My parents have now did intestate, and the property has been left in probate to 4 siblings equal. My sister cant afford to buy anyone out, does she have any rights to remain living in the property because of the length of time she has lived there.

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Probate and property distribution

Hi and welcome.
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

As there was no will, presumably no special provision was made for your sister and probably the bulk of the estate is represented by the house.
    If however there are other substantial assets they could be used to distribute the estate equitably.

Basically she has no particular right to retain the house, but would it not be possible for her siblings to allow her to rent their share of the property, or possibly purchase it by means of a private mortgage?
    As an outsider it seems a shame she should have to move from the family home after living there all her life (?) and possibly caring for your parents(?).
    On the other hand it might be considered unreasonable for her to have more than her fair share of the estate (and I am not suggesting that she is asking for this)

She might just be able to make a claim to continue living there if she was financially dependent on your parents. Financial dependency could include living rent free. If this is the case I would recommend seeking professional legal advice.

Whatever is decided I do hope it doesn't cause a breakdown in family relationships.

Comment

Hi Des8, thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately the 3 siblings are in no position to get mortgage on property. None of us want her to have to leave, but it creates problems because my sister doesn't earn enough to pay any rent or mortgage. My brother also is disabled and claims means tested benefits, so we are not sure how it will affect him if his name is in probate but not on house deeds. Its an awful, awful situation. We are such a close family and within a matter of months its blown us apart, because we really dont know how to resolve it. Thankyou for your post.

Comment

What a dreadful situation, I really feel for you all.
        However as a close caring family there has to be some way forward.
        I can only suggest that you obtain professional assistance, perhaps a mediation service.
        Just don't allow it to destroy you all.
        Some others here might have alternative suggestions.
        I wish you well

Comment

Thankyou Des8, i really hope there is a solution.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X