• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate and Will help...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate and Will help...

Hi all…. I’m looking for a bit of advice and a friend advised to post on here, hope someone can shed a little light on my problem.

Here goes….

In 1983 my father passed away, later in 1985 my mother lost her fight with cancer and passed away in the September. At this point I only knew my mothers brother who lived abroad (lets call him J), I wasn’t aware she had any other family. I’d been told that following her death that I would move abroad and live with my uncle (I was 10 years old at the time). A few days after her death a lot of people turned up at the house, it turned out my mother also had another two brothers and two sisters, whilst this would obviously raise the question of where they had been over the 10 months she had been fighting breast cancer, as I said I was I only 10 at the time.

I ended up being sent to live with one of my mother’s brothers who I had just met that day and ended up living there till I was 16 at which time I was thrown out. I approached my uncle J who I knew was my legal guardian even though I didn’t live with him and asked what my options were. I was 16 at the time and he said I had two choices, go into social care or he’d move me abroad to live with his ex partner. I knew he controlled the money that my mother had left and that would be paid to me on my 18th birthday so I asked about accessing it so I could find somewhere to live, I was half way through my exams at school at the time and being moved abroad would have caused several problems. He said if I got myself a solicitor he would arrange to have a weekly allowance paid to my through the solicitor so as a 16 year old kid I walked into a solicitors office and put things in place. I lived at my rented flat till I reached 18 where at which time I received a cheque for the balance of my trust fund, the amount was far less than I was expecting it to be but I was a daft 18 year old and didn’t question anything.

As in life the older you get the more you look back at things and last year I started to investigate my past a little more. I obtained a copy of my mothers will and probate and this is where it gets interesting. At the time of my mothers death I know she had at least a few thousand pounds in her personal account, which I assume will have been used for her funeral. The house sold for £47k and the probate lists £47k gross and a figure of £40k being placed into trust. Shortly after she died and the other members of family appeared, they took a large amount of possession from my our house, televisions, expensive camera equipment, white goods items and my mothers car. I had assumed these had been sold and the proceeds added to the trust however the figures don’t add up. I’ve asked my uncle J (my legal guardian and executor of my mother will) to shed some light on things but he wont discuss it or acknowledge my emails. When i contacted my mothers solicitors they told me they couldn’t discuss things without the authorisation of the executor, my uncle J, who clearly doesn’t want me dragging up the past.

I appreciate I should have challenged this matter many years ago however following my mothers death and then being moved to an unfamiliar environment I guess I just buried things……. has anyone any advice on how I can investigate this matter as it would appear a lot of money left the trust before my 18th birthday, and also there is no record of where my mother & fathers possessions went.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Probate and Will help...

Hello Neil

Have just come across your thread and feel great sympathy for you but can offer little help except to say - in your position I would get a solicitor (or even a private detective!) who specializes in this kind of forensic exercise to try to find out what actually happened. The trouble is, if you have been cheated out of your inheritance and your uncle no longer has any money this exercise will cost you money and get you nowhere financially.

Sorry to state the obvious - maybe someone else here can give you more informed and in depth advice?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X