• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Keeping house rather than selling for share of inheritance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping house rather than selling for share of inheritance

Hi, I am almost near the end of a long intestate probate of my late husband. It has now been agreed between me and two other beneficiaries, my step sons that I keep the house I live in as my share of inheritance but pay the difference to make up the cash needed for them to get their share of cash without selling the property to release the funds. I may have to pay a difference of around 30k. My solicitor has said I may have to pay fees for buying the extra amount that makes up the difference. The solicitors conveyancing team will deal with it. Why do I have to pay extra when the 3 of us are beneficiaries. I would be a first time buyer, there is no mortgage. It was just my husband's name on the house deeds. He left no will. The house is valued at 640k. But I would be buying only 30k worth of so. What do you think I could have to pay in fees etc. thanks
    Tags: None

I think I may know the answer but I'm not 100% sure
    Under the rules of intestacy (your husband didn't have a will), you as his wife are entitled to the first £270k and half of the remainder of the estate. His sons receive 25% each of the remainder.
    The value of the house (£640K) exceeds £270k plus 50% of the remainder, by about £30k, meaning that there is not enough money in the estate to pay the boys their inheritance.
    You have £30k available to pay the boys
    The solicitor must draft a deed of variation to the rules of intestacy, stating that the boys will receive £15k less each than their entitlement under the rules. All 3 beneficiaries need to sign this deed.
    The fees may be for drafting the deed.
    All 3 beneficiaries have financially benefitted from the estate not incurring estate agent and conveyancing fees, although the solicitor will charge for assenting the property to yourself
    Last edited by Pezza54; 8th September 2024, 12:55:PM.

Comment

If your step sons are worried that you may not pay them their £15k after they have signed the deed, why not meet and after they have signed the document, you could transfer the money via internet banking. That way there is no need to involve the solicitor with the £30k

Comment

Did the solicitor quote at the outset?
        If he did what was included in the quotation?

Comment

I have just read your previous thread and follow up posts on this subject. Worrying that I can't remember my long posts.
          It sounds unlikely that your step sons will agree to meet you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X