• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Online Probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Probate

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can help me?

We completed the online probate application form this afternoon, including the form to calculate inheritance tax due.

It all seemed very straight forward compared to the paperwork we were originally given when we thought we would apply online.

Does this sound true? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I know the paperwork has lots of documents with codes and numbers etc, do we need to complete those if we are doing it online?

How long does online probate form normally take to complete?
    Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    Your questions are difficult to answer with the info you have provided.
    The estate valuation for probate is different to the calculation for IHT
    The probate estate total comprises the value of everything the deceased owned at the date of death, including 50% of assets jointly owned, less debts
    For the IHT calculation, which can be more complex, a lot depends on the will (who is left what), the value of the estate, whether any NRB and RNRB can be brought forward from a previously deceased spouse or civil partner, and whether the deceased made any gifts over the £3k allowance in the last seven years of their life.

You should check which IHT forms you need. There are many. Hopefully you won't need most of them.
    If IHT is due, it needs to be paid to HMRC before probate can be granted

You didn't say if the estate has got to pay IHT. If it does this may hold up your probate application

Comment

Originally posted by Mat261006 View Post
      Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can help me?

We completed the online probate application form this afternoon, including the form to calculate inheritance tax due.

It all seemed very straight forward compared to the paperwork we were originally given when we thought we would apply online.

Does this sound true? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I know the paperwork has lots of documents with codes and numbers etc, do we need to complete those if we are doing it online?

How long does online probate form normally take to complete?
      Thank you so much for your reply, and thank you for the welcome. As you can tell, legal stuff is not my strength.

So dads estate will be enough for us to pay probate on - he didn't have any jointly held assests (he was divorced from my mum and had no partner). There is a small mortgage to be paid and we've worked out roughly what the IHT needs to be.

We completed a small online 'APPLY FOR PROBATE' survey - in which we were told the next steps is to provide the original will and our reference number.

We were not prompted to fill out any other forms, will the probate team/office let us know if we need to do those forms? And will / can they be done online?

Regarding the will its just me and my 3 brothers (in a 30/30/30/10 split).

How do I check what IHT forms are required to fill out?

Thanks so much

Comment

Getting the IHT right first time is very important, otherwise serious delays can be caused to the grant of probate.
        If IHT has to be paid, IHT 400 must be completed. Have a read of this form and then ask yourself, "Am I up to filling in all the required IHT forms correctly?" Answering questions on pages 5 and 6 of IHT 400 will tell you which forms and schedules you need to complete
        There are IHT forms for houses and land (IHT 405) bank and building society accounts (IHT 406), personal possessions, gifts, loans, mortgages, pensions, RNRB (if he left his property to his children) etc
        IHT 400 can be completed online but I wouldn't advise this. My advice would be to print out the form once it has been double checked and post it along with the other IHT forms and schedules
        Last edited by Pezza54; 10th September 2024, 10:32:AM.

Comment

Please read the guidance at
          http://www.gov.uk/valuing-estate-of-...nce-tax-to-pay
          The advice is to obtain professional valuations for the property

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X