• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claim on estate for late father

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim on estate for late father

My estranged dad recently passed away leaving behind his Mam, Sister, myself and my half brother.

Me and half brother are estranged from the family as my father never bothered with us both from a young age. I did see him before he passed away but the family never contacted us about the funeral arrangements, we found out in the local newspaper that he’d passed and when the funeral etc was. We were not mentioned in anyway in the obituary. I did however attend his funeral.

With being removed from that side of the family I’m not sure about the finances or estate handling but I believe that they would attempt to keep me and my brother away from the estate with all of their might.

Where do I stand legally with finding out if I’m entitled to any claim on his estate? I did contact a local law firm who have quoted me £100-£300 per hour and require £900 up front to even take on the case.
    Tags: None

You need to identify father's domicile. England and Wales, Northern Ireland ot Scotland. The rules are different.

Comment

Thank you, it would be England in this case.

Comment

You could lodge a caveat with the Probate Registry and wait for the estate executor/administrator to make contact.
        Probate/letters of administration may not be required if your late father owned assets jointly and/or had very little savings

A caveat can be lodged online and costs about £3

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X