• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate and Council Tax Liability question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate and Council Tax Liability question

New to the forum so thanks for any help. My mum died last year and left no will. Myself and my brother applied to be the administrators and we got probate on the 15th May last year. She owned a flat which myself and my brother inherited. Due to the buyers being very slow, we did not sell the flat for 9 months. All of the guidance I can see says that local authorities give an additional 6 months after probate as free of council tax. But the authority here have said
    "We understand that the property was transferred into the names of yourself and Graham Beardmore on 11.05.23 so the exemption ended on this date and you became liable for a full Council Tax charge." The 11th was the date probate was granted so myself and my brother had official permision to administer her estate. My understanding is that we should be given the additional 6 months as we did not inherit the flat on the 11th (the deeds, land registry etc remained in her name) we become the administers of her estate. Grateful for any comments as I'm putting together the formal complaint letter.

Tags: None

Hi
    Welcome to LB
    Is the LA right? As administrators did you and your brother apply to the Land Registry to have the property put in your names after you received the letters of administration?
    If the both of you were in agreement to sell the property, there was no need to have your names put on the deeds
    If the property remained unoccupied and unfurnished the LA may have granted a further 6 months council tax exemption relief, but this does vary from council to council

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The flat remained in the name of my mum both on the deeds and land registry. The contract for the sale of the flat stated that we were the administrators (not the owners)

Comment

Point out their error to the council. Ownership of the property was never transferred to you and your brother

Comment

Thanks, have pointed this out via their normal channels with no progress so having to make a formal, written complaint.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X