• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Not allowed to go dad’s funeral

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not allowed to go dad’s funeral

What can the next of kin do if the executor has been false on the cremation form and refuses to share date of funeral.
    My ex husband had a new girlfriend of 8 months they separated for 4weeks and he’s been found dead. On 10th June 24 he wrote a Will stating she is the sole beneficiary and executor and his kids and family get nothing(not a big estate anyway).
    Now she is refusing to let any family know about the funeral even his dad.
    We have questioned the Will because names were wrong not misspelled, in this Will and he was a known alcoholic. His body has now been released from the coroner but cause of death is still unknown.
    On the cremation form she has said that no family have any disagreement about the cremation. The family had asked to have some of his ashes and be involved with the funeral but she said no we have pleaded with her to change her mind.
    Is this dishonest of her to say there are no objections. Can the next of kin ask for her to be removed as executor, she even tried to get the coroner to change herself to the next of kin, got rid of some of his belongings. This is heartbreaking for my kids(adults) who just want to say goodbye and so does his father. We were together for 30 years how could he put my name wrong in his Will and the executor said the Will was with the solicitor which she apparently got without even showing a death certificate. An interim one was sent yesterday
    Tags: None

Very sorry to read about the passing of your ex-husband and the problems the family are experiencing with the executor
    How have you managed to see a copy of the will? Has the executor passed a copy to the children?
    I'm afraid I don't have any good news
    Now the executor has a copy of the will, and the death certificate, she can contact his bank(s), provide the documentation and ID for herself as the named executor and ask for the money in the accounts to be released to an executor account
    The Nationwide may release up to £30k, other banks up to £125k. This is before the Grant of Probate, if the grant is required. You did write his estate wasn't big. Do you know approximately how much?
    There is an article by Rutters Solicitors about the abuse and fraud that this process can lead to

Regarding the date and time of his funeral, you should contact (telephone) his local authority. The council has a duty to let the next of kin and close family know if the funeral is being arranged at the council crem

The executor can arrange a direct cremation without a funeral service against family wishes. I do hope this isn't the case here

Court action, which is likely to be costly, is required to remove an errant executor, if the executor refuses to stand down
    Last edited by Pezza54; 18th August 2024, 12:51:PM.

Comment

Hi thank you for the reply
      the executor sent a copy to the site manager of the caravan he was staying in and when asked she sent a copy to his dad but not the children. This was before interim death certificate being issued.
      Hi estate will be less than £10k I imagine now he was a mechanic until a few years ago so had a lot of high value tools (Snap-on).
      I think she is going for a direct cremation because she said he didn’t want a funeral.

Comment

Thanks for your pm
        Pleased I could be of help
        Hope all goes well

Comment

The family found out when the funeral service was and attended despite not being given the information by his girlfriend of only 8-9 months. However the eulogy given didn’t mention the family members including the own dad. It was from the advice on here to call the local crematorium that we were able to say a final goodbye. How can an executor also hold the rights to the ashes of another adult is beyond me and not even share with the next of kin.

Comment

Brooklynn may be a spammer. OP did attend the funeral in the end

Comment

Brooklynn is a spammer, commercial advertising. Reported EXC ULA
              All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X