• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Elderly grandparents, one with dementia, one with a sudden stroke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly grandparents, one with dementia, one with a sudden stroke

Good afternoon,

I would be grateful of any advice on next steps on a relatively complex issue, which I will attempt to summarise as briefly as possible below:

- My grandad has dementia, and requires round the clock care.
    - Carers visit morning and night to get him out of bed and take him back, along with taking care of his personal hygiene.
    - My nan is otherwise his full time carer, sorting meals etc. throughout the day.
    - My nan had a significant stroke a few days ago and is unable to speak or communicate. She is currently in hospital with very little chance of any recovery and will not return home.
    - There is no power of attorney in place for either grandparent as they always stated they found it too complicated and did not want to worry about it.
    - My grandparents live approx 100 miles away from myself and my own parents who are attempting to sort everything.

My mum is currently with my grandad caring wherever possible, and nips to the hospital whenever she can. However, with work etc. this cannot continue.

- All payments for carers etc. were paid by my nan from their joint account, which we cannot access
    - They had no direct debits and paid everything manually by cash or card over the phone or at a post office

I have done some research and applying to be a deputy for both seems to be the appropriate action. However, this will take many months and we do not have the funds ourselves to cover their bills and care costs.

Our initial priority is to allow us to access their joint account so we can pay their bills and for grandad's care. After this, we would like to take over grandad's welfare decisions so we can move him to a care home close to us.

My grandparents also took equity release on their property some years ago. The policy will allow the policy provider to cover all lifelong care costs but they will take all funds from the sale of the house. This is not a problem for us, but we cannot sell the house due to not having power of attorney.

Any assistance on what would be the best next steps would be very much appreciated at this challenging time.

Best regards,
    Dave.
    Last edited by xblackwolf90; 14th August 2024, 13:43:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X