• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Appearance/Summons Threshold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearance/Summons Threshold

Hi,

I just issued a warning to get rid of a caveat recently and am expecting either an appearance or summons.

I can't find anywhere with research whether when someone is seeking to make a caveat permanent they just need to state a reason or actually give supporting evidence, and how strong that evidence threshold is?

Tags: None

Have you seen this? https://www.gov.uk/stop-probate-appl...te-application

The evidence needs to be strong enough to satisfy a judge.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Yes I took a look it doesn't mention anything about submitting evidence. I'm pretty clear that a caveat requires no evidence and of course if it went to court evidence and reasoning could be supplied by either party but I'm unsure what the rough requirements are for an appearance/summons to make the caveat permanent.

For context I've issued a warning, confident of victory in court when all the evidence is displayed and believe caveat process is being used as a negotiating tactic. I hope evidence has to be provided in response to the warning to make the caveat permanent as I don't believe there is any!

Comment

Please read the article "Entering an Appearance" at www.sleeblackwell.co.uk
        The form to enter an appearance to warning is obtained from the probate registry
        It has to completed correctly with good reasons why the caveat should be made permanent and returned within 14 days
        If this is carried out by the caveator, the Probate Registry may decide to seal the appearance (making the caveat permanent) and serve it on the person who lodged the warning
        Once permanent the caveat can only be removed by consent or court order. If court action is required the loser faces significant legal costs
        You stated you believe you have a strong case, so the caveator might decide not to make an appearance facing the prospect of losing in court and having to pay legal costs

Comment

from the gov. uk link: "If they enter an appearance and the Registrar agrees with their reasons..."
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X