• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance Act claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance Act claim

Hi I hope someone can advise as I have looked and looked and not sure what is right

I am executor and also beneficiary to my mum’s estate - she passed away in June last year and immediately my estranged brother who has been left out of the Will placed a caveat in our probate application - after several months and him offering no proof that mum was coerced or did not have capacity we got the caveat removed.

probate was granted on the 23rd February 2024

we were initially advised by my brother’s solicitor that he would now be making a claim under the inheritance act and she would send a letter of claim in due course

we have not received anything up to this point and the solicitor is no longer representing my brother - coincidentally this happened after we sent her copies of posts he had made about our mother before and after she died

i know he has 6 months to make a claim, but I don’t understand how he then has a further 4 months to serve it on us.

are we not notified by the court if a claim has been submitted?

I ask as we really want to be able to distribute the estate and thought if we had heard nothing by the 23rd august we would be able to proceed but if he has another 4 months to serve it are we going to have to wait til December ?

we know he has no case as he was not being financially supported by our mum before she died - he has been estranged from the family for 4 years - he is an adult and works full time
    and he has no disabilities etc

will the court look at his claim and just refuse it as it has no merit or will they allow it to proceed anyway and expect us to either settle or fight it?

if so it seems unfair as obviously that will cost

I hope that all makes sense

thanks for you time

Tags: None

CPR 7.5 provides that a Claim Form must be served within 4 months of issue. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...les/part07#7.5

Wheether and when to serve is a decision for the Claimant and not the Court. Defendants are not notified other than by being served.
    ​​​
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X