• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insolvent estate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insolvent estate

Hi all

My sister had dementia, I was her Deputy and looked after her for her last 3 years, placing her in care homes, ending her tenancy, clearing her house, etc. she owed a great deal of money (£180,000 +) but had modest savings which were being eroded by care home fees, she was on a number of repayment plans paying numerous creditors £1 pcm each. When I was appointed deputy I contacted her main creditors to let them know the situation and stop correspondence going to the house she had given up, I also paid utility bills, care home fees, etc. from her bank account.
    She died recently, I, as next of kin, registered her death, I am aware that my rights and obligations as Deputy ended with her death and my main concern was to arrange her funeral, which we have done very successfully, a small, modest but beautiful service.
    Her bank will meet the cost of the funeral from her account and the balance will be less than their probate threshold.
    I have dealt with several estates in the family, but all were simple and solvent with no friction of any kind, having looked at various sources, insolvent estates appear to be a can of worms, although I am not liable for my sister's debts, if I administer the estate, but make errors that disadvantage a creditor, I could be liable for any loss caused by the error.
    I am in the process of informing the creditors of her death and the debt collectors have informed me that they were passing the case back to their clients, if I continue to provide information to interested parties, including posting an ad (at my own expense) in the Gazette and local paper, does that count as, "intermeddling" and imply that I am administering the estate, or would I have to take a more significant action, other than simply providing information?
    some creditors have written off debts, others have yet to reply.

I am not trying to "get away" with anything, but I do not want to spend hours sharing out £10,000 pro-rata between 20 corporate creditors, knowing that, if I get it wrong, I could be making myself liable and having problems.

On the other hand, if the creditors take the line that pursuing the debts is not cost-effective, and write them off, then the £10,000 would be a useful inheritance.

As I understand it, if one of the creditors was inclined to apply for probate, they would be in the same position as I would, i.e. they would be obliged to pay, not just themselves, but all the creditors, pro rata, and would have the costs of applying for probate and dealing with 20 or so creditors and might end up spending thousands to gain a few hundred, or even less.

All input very welcome
    Tags: None

What has happened to the house? I ask because you only mention the cash of some £10,000 which can probably be adminitered without probate but if there is also a house owned by your sister probate would be needed to sell it as Land Registry won't normally transfer ownership without probate.

My experience as executor for someone who had dozens of debts to catalogues, credit cards and so on, mostly in the £hundreds range. I wrote to them all with a copy of the death certicate and warned them that the estate might be insolvent and it would be some time before I knew so couldn't pay them anything now. Most of them I never heard from again! They stopped sending statements but never came back to ask what was happening. I share that only really because it suggestes that although small creditors almsot certainly will write off the debts you might struggle to get them to confirm they have done so, not helpful when you are looking for certainty.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
      What has happened to the house? I ask because you only mention the cash of some £10,000 which can probably be adminitered without probate but if there is also a house owned by your sister probate would be needed to sell it as Land Registry won't normally transfer ownership without probate.

My experience as executor for someone who had dozens of debts to catalogues, credit cards and so on, mostly in the £hundreds range. I wrote to them all with a copy of the death certicate and warned them that the estate might be insolvent and it would be some time before I knew so couldn't pay them anything now. Most of them I never heard from again! They stopped sending statements but never came back to ask what was happening. I share that only really because it suggestes that although small creditors almsot certainly will write off the debts you might struggle to get them to confirm they have done so, not helpful when you are looking for certainty.
      Thank you for the swift reply, I did mention that I ended her tenancy of her rented house, so there was no house to sell, there is just a moderate savings account, which will be reduced by funeral expanses, there will be a clawback from DWP and probably a final settlement from the Council for care fees, the final figure may well be less than £10k by my reckoning any settlements made by an administrator would be 5.4p in the pound.

Comment

Sorry, so you did - I missed the bit about it being rented.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

If you are concerned about any possible liability due to making errors you could effect an Executor's Liability Policy.
          The premiums are claimable as an executors cost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X