• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Where do we stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do we stand

Hi all,
    Hoping someone can help me.

in 2022 my sister in law was contacted by an insurance company to advise that her father had died and that he had a policy with them and they were looking to pay out the policy. She provided them with her details and those of her 2 brothers. the policy was then split 3 ways and paid out.

A year later my husband was contacted by another company (cannot remember what it was) saying that they had this policy but it could not be paid out unless probate had been applied for.
    My husband then applied for probate and took on the role of executor at the request of his siblings.
    He followed the correct process, advertised the death, etc to see if any debtors came forward. That's when 3 half brothers came forward.
    My husband quite rightly agreed that any inheritance in the estate would be shared equally between all 6 children of the deceased.
    My husband has now had a letter from a solicitor saying that the 3 half brothers want their share of the insurance pay out from 2022. This money was spent before probate was requested and before my husband took on the role of executor,

They are saying that they will take my husband to court to get the money that they are due.

Is my husband liable for this, even though he was not executor at the time? at the time the insurance money was received and spent in good faith.

i'm very stressed about this as my husband doesn't work and I don't have the savings to give to cover the sum they are asking for.

Any clarification would be appreciated
    Tags: None

Let's start with this: was there a will, or did your father in law die intestate?

Is it correct that your husband and his full siblings did not know about these half brothers before they came forward following the statutory notices?

Do you know why the insurance company contacted your sister in law? Had your father named any beneficiaries of the policy?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi,

He died intestate, there was no will and no beneficiary listed with the policy.

She was contacted by someone who looks for dependants (I think thats the right word) unsure how they found her.

They were aware of the half siblings.

Comment

Then they should have been included in the distribution of the insurance policy money. Can your husband and the 2 full siblings each repay half of what they received?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi,

For various reasons they cannot raise that money.

I know my husband would have been happy for all 6 siblings to receive their equal share of that payment however the distribution of that was done by the insurance company and was not dealt with by my husband.

He has found out the details after he took on the role as executor over a year after the insurance company paid out.

So would he be personally be liable to pay the 3 half siblings as he is now the executor? Even though this took place before?

Comment

He may have a responsibility as executor to take action to recover that money, even if he is not responsible for the earlier receipt and distribution.

He might do well to take legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by myheadhurtss View Post
              however the distribution of that was done by the insurance company and was not dealt with by my husband.
              That is a bit simplistic. The 3 of them gave bank details to the insurance company. None of them stopped to consider their half brothers.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X