• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Land Registry registration following grant of probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Registry registration following grant of probate

My brother's Will names me as the executor and states the residuary of his estate to be split between myself, his niece and his nephew. His estate largely comprises his home. Now Grant of Probate has been received the Land Register will need to be updated in preparation for selling the house. IHT has already been paid. The company handling the administration of the estate has asked me if I want the land registry transfer to be in my name solely or the names of all three beneficiaries. Given the wording of the Will about residuary of the estate being split I had assumed I would need to sell the house (as executor), finalise the estate funds available after deductions such as legal fees, energy bills settled etc and then divide between the remaining funds between the three beneficiaries. So this request has thrown me a bit. I've had to correct them on a couple of things along the way so hence also seeking any available reassurance/advice from this group on the best way forward please. Thank you.
    Tags: None

The estate administrator may be thinking that the three of you are going to keep the house and use it jointly, eg rent it out.

But if that is not the case and you are going to sell and divide up the money then it needs to be registered at LR in your name as the sole Executor as only the Executor has the legal power to sell.

​​​​Have you discussed with your niece and nephew what they would like happen? It's as well to let them know what you are planning to do in case one of them has strong views on it, to avoid possible disputes later.

Does the Will say anything specific about whether the house should be sold?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thank you for your response. All 3 beneficiaries are agreed that the house should be sold. The Will doesn’t say anything specifically about the house. He was happy to leave it to the three beneficiaries to decide what to do with it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X