• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property trust, CGT & IHT help please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property trust, CGT & IHT help please!

Hello. First time posting and it's quite a long one and quite complicated so please bear with me.

Mum passed away earlier this month leaving a Will that gives her partner the right to live in her home for 3 years from the date of her death. Home has been valued between £325,000-£350,000.

There's also over £30,000 in a private pension and around the same (£30k in a savings account).

It's mums home bought before she met her partner. No mortgage. Her partner has lived there with her for around 10 years but didn't pay rent. Assuming they contributed toward bills.

At the end of the 3 years, the property is to be sold with 15% of the proceeds of the sale of mums house going to mums partner (not married) and remaining 85% is split between myself and brother equally. The same percentages apply to the bank savings (not the private pension as that's split equally 3 ways).

Dad passed away almost 20 years ago with the whole of his estate passing outright to mum.

My understanding is that we can claim the nil rate band from dad's estate so that the IHT threshold on mum's death is £650k as none of the nil rate band was used during his lifetime (no gifts made etc) so mums estate will be within the combined IHT threshold so no IHT is due for my brother or I and the nil rate band won't need to be claimed - being left to us as direct descendents.

The issue appears to be the 3 year property trust which I've been told by the solicitor means HMRC will view mum's partner as being classed as 'owning' the whole of the property as they're an occupant there (for the trust period) and that when the property is sold they will face a capital gains (or IHT?) tax on the 85% left for my brother & I as it's classed as a 'gift' from mum's partner to my brother & I even though mums' Will leaves the 85% to us and it's mums house (title deeds solely in mums name etc). I think I've got that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So for my brother & I, we've been advised we don't need to worry about IHT, CGT etc as we're direct descendents being left the 85% but as mum's partner and mum weren't married, they will face the CGT/IHT tax bill.

My question is, firstly, is that correct?

Secondly, could we do a deed of variation to leave the whole of the property to my brother and I with 15% of the sale going to mum's partner so mum's partner doesn't lose out in any way they'll still receive their 15% but there would be no property trust so the house would need to be sold and mum's partner would need to find somewhere else to live. Would doing this mean mums' partner wouldn't have to pay any CGT/IHT or if they still need to pay something, would it be less than if the Will was left as it is?

Thank you. We're all very confused and looking for the best solution all round.
    Tags: None

In 2004, 20 years ago, the IHT nil rate band was £263K. Since 2007 any unused nrb is transferable. So your mum has a total nrb of £588K.The total of her estate still falls within the nrb meaning that there is no IHT to pay
    The property should be valued by an estate agent for the date of your mother's death and the agent's letter kept safe
    This would be the value of the property as it is put in trust.
    Invoices, receipts etc for any improvements to the property should also be kept safe
    If, for example, the property is valued at £350k and is sold at £400k in 3 years time.
    Capital gains would be £50k less the value of improvements less agent and solicitor fees to sell it (say £45k capital gains after deductions)
    This financial year the CGT personal exempt amount is £3k but is likely to change in the future
    Your individual share of the capital gain is 42.5%
    Therefore your CGT would be £45k x 42.5% less £3k x 18 or 28% (depending whether you are a basic or higher rate tax payer)

Your second question doesn't really apply. Your mother's partner would not pay IHT on your mother's estate and as he only has a 15% property share his CGT liability would be significantly less than you and your brothers

Comment

Last edited by InfoBeagle; 30th April 2024, 16:44:PM.

Comment

hi
        not sure how you managed to post a blank message. I can't - minimum 5 characters

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X