• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Power of Attorney any help, gratefully appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power of Attorney any help, gratefully appreciated

Hi Everyone, ( currently based in North Wales, UK )

Just looking for some advise or if anyone has been in a similar situation ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the situation....
    My Uncle whom is currently 83, has been found since his last CT scan has been found to have the C word, the Dr have advised us he is dying. He is currently in and out of consciousness, but still very much talking to us and is somewhat aware of his surroundings.

He has been disabled for over 60 years since loosing both his legs, however, he has NEVER written any form of Will, my mother ( his sister of course ) were looking at becoming the executor to the will as soon he was due to leave hospital ( as his original admittance to hospital was due to a fall ) However, now of course, things have increasingly changed and my parents are now looking at options in what they can do ? Can anyone please advised what options they have ?

As advised, regarding the only information we have, no will has been written, and no funeral arrangements are in place however, the finances are there in his Bank account ,but know body has control. As previously mentioned, any information or help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Kindest regards,
    Tags: None

He should make (1) Lasting Powers of Attorney (2) a Will. What you say suggests that he may have capacity (a legal term) to do so. A good private client solicitor will do a home or hospital visit.

What family does he have - wife, children, grandchildren?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      He should make (1) Lasting Powers of Attorney (2) a Will. What you say suggests that he may have capacity (a legal term) to do so. A good private client solicitor will do a home or hospital visit.

What family does he have - wife, children, grandchildren?
      Thank you for the reply Atticus,

He was divorced around 45 years ago, we do know he has x 2 sons, but he has had nothing to do with neither of them from birth, we have tried to reach out , but have had absolutely nothing in return, we do know they have stated they wont nothing to do with him, and therefore , we need to respect their wishes.

Comment

Very sorry to read about your uncle. If he hasn't made a will and doesn't make one before he passes, his sons will inherit under the rules of intestacy.

Discussing a will with a relative who is "dying" in hospital is not something I would want to do. My advice is to approach the subject tactfully

Comment

Sometimes these things have to be done. Speak to the man. If he dies without a will, the sons will inherit.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for everyone's replies so far, it is very much appreciated, I will not lie, the both Sons are very much intitled, and this I i understand, what is infuriating me is that it will be myself and family who will be paying out the bill for funeral , Wake etc. while the sons will not pay a single penny towards , for them, it will simply be a easy "Pay-day" if that makes sense ? considering one of them is a Busker...

Nut once again, thank you to one and all for your replies. It is greatly appreciated . ,

Comment

If your uncle hasn't got and doesn't make a will before passing. your mother should apply to Probate for letters of administration. If successful she will become the estate administrator and manage the estate as an executor would, following intestacy rules.
              She would be entitled to deduct money for the funeral etc from the estate which is likely to be after the funeral bill has to be paid

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X