• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Double Probate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Probate

I am a non-proving executor and wish to apply for double probate. Consult a solicitor? Easy? Not so!

I have consulted several solicitors but find myself little further forward. The original solicitor refuses to talk to me as I am “no longer their client” and says I should seek alternative advice as they cannot represent me due to conflict of interests. Did I hear that correctly?! Another solicitor asks why the original solicitor will not represent my application. A third solicitor……… Well, you get the idea.

I have the distinct impression that this is a little-understood issue, but I was initially advised that should I wish to apply for double probate then there was a simple procedure. I have requested a copy of form Cap a5c but told that it will take 3 weeks to reach me.

Can anyone please offer a way forward?
    Tags: None

Why is there a conflict of interests? Is there something you have not mentioned in your several threads?

Comment

Try joining the Trusts Discussions Forum and asking kindly if anyone has a spare copy of form Cap A5C they can email you. Users on the TDF seem friendly and very helpful

Comment

Thanks for both replies. Firstly, there is absolutely nothing at all relevant that I have not said that would cause the original solicitor to distance themselves from this but they do keep emphasising that they cannot discuss this further or reveal their client’s instructions. They no longer regard me as their client.

Secondly, I will join the Trusts Discussion Forum as suggested and see where that leads - thank you.

I have contacted HMRC’s helpline(having waited 30 minutes for the call to be answered) and they have promised to send me a copy of form Cap a5c within 3 weeks. If I have not received the form by that time, I am advised to contact them again! It doesn’t inspire confidence.

Comment

Thanks to the kindness of a Trusts Discussion forum member, a copy of form Cap a5c is now being sent to me. I am grateful for the suggestion and the assistance.

I have recently visited the offices of the original solicitor and they continue to refuse to co-operate with an application for double probate, citing "conflict of interests" and "inability to disclose our client's instructions". They also ignore any emails I send to them. It would seem that their client - my fellow executor - may have instructed the solicitor not to speak to me. If that is indeed the case, is such a practice legal when the right of a non-proving executor to apply for double probate is clearly enshrined in the law?

I want and need to apply for double probate because I believe that the estate admin has gone seriously astray. I know that my fellow executor is very keen to prevent me from becoming active again and have been asked by another member of the family to examine the accounts - to which I currently have no access.

It may be that I can handle the application on my own (perhaps with a little help on here?) but it looks as though probate grant reference number and the contents of the whole filing system (that I created over 3 months) will now be denied to me.

I find all this very suprising. I have consulted two other solicitors and both say they cannot understand why the original solicitor has taken this stance and that they have never encountered such a situation. However, they would not say whether the stance was legal or not.

Any advice or suggestions will be most welcome.

Comment

Make a formal complaint to the solicitor. If that doesn't work raise a claim with the Legal Ombudsman and write to the Law Society to report the solicitor

Before making a complaint you should read the article at http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/gui...licts-interest
            In particular take note of "Substantially common interest" under Exceptions to conflict of interest.

Surely proving executors have a substantial common interest to administer the deceased's estate to the benefit of the beneficiaries
            Last edited by Pezza54; 13th April 2024, 10:04:AM.

Comment

Complain on what grounds, Pezza54 ?

The OP chose not to take up the appointment as executor. He now wishes to. He has indicated that he is not entirely happy with the executor named in the grant, indeed that he considers that he may have grounds for complaint or even action.

Comment

Can the solicitor refuse to co-operate and not provide OP with estate information that is required so OP can complete form Cap a5c?
                Without this info OP is prevented from applying for double probate

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X