• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unpleasant dealing with sibling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpleasant dealing with sibling

We finally agreed to sell the family home (joint executors). We've had photos done and I've signed off the draft particulars. Sister is dragging her heels with signing. Wants to send everything to a friend to look at, being very picky. Wants a higher price than both estate agents suggested. I think this is all to try and delay the process. I understand she's suffering because she doesn't want the house to go but there is a will and it has to be sold.

I'm having severe anxiety due to all the messages. We have probate. Not sure I can handle the stress anymore. How much would a solicitor charge to act on my behalf to get the house marketed and sold
    Tags: None

This is a continuation of this thread

Selling inherited house. Sibling making it difficult. - LegalBeagles Forum
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Don't you already have a solicitor who is going to do the conveyancing on behalf of the Estate? The solicitor's fees should be paid out of the Estate.
      Last edited by PallasAthena; 27th March 2024, 16:08:PM.
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

No solicitor yet. What is conveyancing? I've never sold a house before.

Comment

Conveyancing = the legal processes when selling a house, of transferring ("conveying") ownership from your mother's Estate to the buyer.

https://hoa.org.uk/advice/guides-for...e-for-sellers/

Selling as an executor -Trowers & Hamlins

I'm surprised the Estate Agent you are using hasn't already asked you about this. They normally want to know which solicitor you will be using befoe they agree to market the property.

They can also advise you on whether the final sale price needs a revised IHT declaration to HMRC and whether any Capital Gains Tax needs to be paid by the Estate on any increase in value from date of death to date of sale.
          Last edited by PallasAthena; 27th March 2024, 16:10:PM.

Comment

Thank you. I'll ask the estate agent tomorrow

Comment

Sisters house is worth 540k with a mortgage of 60k. Could she transfer her house to me and then I could sell it and split the proceeds with the other beneficiary? We would then reject our claim on the will/estate. My sister could then have the house and the responsibility of paying the inheritance tax.

Is that even possible?

Comment

Please help. I'm on the verge of a breakdown over this

Comment

Originally posted by VeryStressed View Post
                  Sisters house is worth 540k with a mortgage of 60k. Could she transfer her house to me and then I could sell it and split the proceeds with the other beneficiary? We would then reject our claim on the will/estate. My sister could then have the house and the responsibility of paying the inheritance tax.

Is that even possible?
                  Is it realistic? Is there any chance of this scheme being agreed by all necessary parties?
                  Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

I would agree but that would leave her in a precarious financial state

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X