• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can administrator buy house of deceased

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
    The total value of his estate should have included the value of his personal possessions (£19.5k). Under intestacy rules these possessions pass direct to you as the surviving spouse.
    So the the value of the estate for intestacy calculations is £920,500
    Assuming your husband died before 25 July 2023, (in your first post last December you said he died recently?) you inherit the first £270k and 50% of the remainder. £270k plus 50% of £650,500 gives a total of £595,250, leaving your stepsons £162,625 each
    After July 25 2023 the £270k increased to £322k
    The sons can inherit property from their father's estate. If the property isn't sold they will each become a co-owner with a 17.667% share of the property.
    This would mean when the property is sold they would benefit from a future rise in the property value, or lose out if the value falls
    my husband died a year ago, March 23. So in laymans terms, what do I need to do or be able to do in order to buy my home ?? I guess it really will depend on what his sons do.

Comment

You obtain probate. Keep the boys as beneficiaries informed and when you obtain probate let them know you intend to buy the house at market value.
      See how they respond. By then their solicitor may have advised them that their claim is weak and if they chose to challenge the rules of intestacy and the claim is defended they could face paying significant legal costs if they lose in court

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
        You obtain probate. Keep the boys as beneficiaries informed and when you obtain probate let them know you intend to buy the house at market value.
        See how they respond. By then their solicitor may have advised them that their claim is weak and if they chose to challenge the rules of intestacy and the claim is defended they could face paying significant legal costs if they lose in court
        ok, thank you so much for all your replies. It doesnt help my anxiety ! but its good to know what options there are and what may occur, so thanks again

Comment

thank you for all your info and replies, I really do appreciate it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X