• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contesting a will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contesting a will

Hello, my dad passed away 6 months ago.

He legally still married to my mum but separated. Yes was living with his partner at the time in rented accommodation.

Me and my siblings may have to contest the will as she may got for 50% of the property he owned with my mum.

My question is his partner won't let us see the will so we don't actually know if we need to co test or not so do we just wait and see to see if probate goes in , up until now we can't find anything to say it has?

Thankyou
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about the loss of our father.

Until a grant of probate is issued, only named executors of the Will are entitled to see it. While beneficiaries can request to see the Will at this stage, it will be up to the executor to decide whether or not they share the document.

Once a Grant of probate has been issued, a Will is considered a public document, which means that you can apply to the Probate Registry or a copy.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi
      You can search the Land Registry to find out how the property is owned.
      If it states owned by your father and mother as joint tenants (as opposed to tenants in common), the property has passed to your mum and she is now the sole owner

Comment

It's easy to get a copy of the Will online once probate is granted from gov.uk: Search probate records for documents and wills (England and Wales) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by PallasAthena View Post
          It's easy to get a copy of the Will online once probate is granted from gov.uk: Search probate records for documents and wills (England and Wales) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
          What if probate was not necessary nor obtained? I am just starting on my MIL will, and I now understand that if there are no assets other than joint bank accounts and Joint ownership of house, then all passes to the other joint holder, and no probate is required? Am happy to be corrected.

Comment

Yes you are right. If all assets are in joint names, the assets can usually pass to the surviving spouse or civil partner without probate
            Did you check the land registry to find out whether your mother is named on the deeds as a joint tenant?

Comment

but elsewhere Fireman says that the property was jointly held as tenants in common.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The house is definitely TIC. I asked the probate question as an aside.
                Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X