• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice to change to Tenants in Common wasn't done.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update to all this (if anyone's still interested!)
    Our solicitor (my uncle and mine - although I've just taken Power Reserved as it's impossible for me to get to their office over 50 miles away) has sent a provisional IHT return to HMRC assuming my father owned all his main residence - as she has had no reply from his late sister's solicitor as to whether the Severence of Joint Tenants was signed.

Fair enough, and luckily the over £300k IHT (total estate came to 1.4 million) can just be paid from my dad's bank account and NSandI funds. My uncle is of a mind for us to pay the three grandchildren (of my dad's late sister) their half share of the main residence when all the probate is done (it looks like that could be about half of £560k).

I'm thinking it would be fair to take some of the IHT cost from their (the 3 grandchildren's) share? Any ideas how much? It would be informal, so I wouldn't want to set myself up for any come back in future.

Comment

I don't think it would be fair. If I have understood your confusing posts right, their grandmother's estate paid IHT on her 50% share of the property and may have paid too much tax if RNRB was not claimed.
      Why should their inheritance be subject to IHT again. IHT should be taken from the residuary

Comment

Thanks Pezza54 - apologies for the confusion. Yes, why should they pay extra. If only the Severence had been signed - that's life.
        You've been patient - thanks again.

Comment

Here's a summary of everything to try and make it less confusing.

My father and his sister owned a house as Joint Tenants.
          She died 2019 - her will said my dad could continue living in the house. When he moved/died her half would pass to her son (he died, so now her grandchildren).
          She was advised the Joint Tenancy needed to be severed (they would then be Tenants in Common). The Severence wasn't signed (as far as is known). [Take a breather!]

My father as her executor should have Severed the Joint Tenancy (he had up to 2 years after her death?) - he didn't.
          If my uncle and myself were to keep the grandchildren's half share, they would probably have a good legal case to claim it.
          We will pay them their share after probate.

Simple!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X