• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Robate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robate

My parents owned 2 properties as joint tenants in common. When my father died he left me and my sister his half of both properties between us, with my mum retaining her half of each property. I as executor will need to remove my dads name from the deeds of both properties and add my sisters and my name to them. My question is, do I need to get probate to do this? Neither property is being sold.
    Tags: None

Hi
    Sorry to read about the death of your father
    You will need Probate to transfer equity
    My advice is to use a solicitor to apply for probate on your behalf as executor as well as change the deeds
    There may be inheritance tax to pay on your father's estate and the forms and calculations are complex
    As your father has left his share of the properties to you and your sister his estate should benefit from the IHT Residence Nil Rate Band which has to be claimed on a separate form
    Other investments that are not in joint names with your mother may have to be taken into account for IHT

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X