• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance tax and/ or capital gains tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance tax and/ or capital gains tax

I am an only child. My father died last August with no will and my mother has just died, again with no will. Their house is worth about 450k as is but it Needs a bit of work. If I clear / tidy / professionally clean and get decorated, new kitchen, new carpets etc which will cost about 25k, I could make another 50k so it would be worth about 500k.

My question is, is it worth it or will any gain be lost in IHT or CGT?
    Tags: None

Before thinking about working on the house you need to gain ownership of it. You, or your solicitor, need to appoint an administrator by applying to Probate to grant the letters of administration.
    IHT forms need to be completed and sent to HMRC and IHT paid. For IHT the value of the estate is worked out at the time of death. It sounds as if your mother's estate will benefit from the Residence Nil Rate Tax Band and that your father's RNRB can be transferred meaning your mother's estate could have a nil rate band totaling £1m
    To avoid CGT you need to reside in the house, carry out improvements to it and then sell it.
    My advice is to appoint a solicitor to apply for probate and complete IHT forms. There are several forms to complete and mistakes can cause delays. You will need a conveyancing solicitor to insert your name on the deeds.

Comment

Thank you. Very helpful. Yes will appoint a solicitor.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X