• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Issue with Uncooperative Executor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with Uncooperative Executor

Hello LegalBeagles,

My sister and I are having an issue with the executor of my grandfather's estate, my late father's brother. My father died unexpectedly around three years ago, only a few months after my grandfather died. He passed without a will, but was entitled to a share of his father's will. We have been trying for the last three years to receive his stake as his rightful heirs. We are Americans but my sister has dual citizenship.

We were instructed at the time by the executor, our uncle, to follow a procedure which included making sure he was not in arrears with any collectors and to establish ourselves as the beneficiaries of our father's claim to the estate. We did this successfully, informed the executor, and proceeded to file a probate application. We found out a few months ago that there was a caveat entered without any notice from the executor or his legal representatives at the beginning of the year. This caveat expired at the end of 2023, however, we cannot find out on what basis it was entered as Roythornes (his legal representation) has not responded to our solicitor despite numerous probes. It is possible that he has reissued another caveat without any explanation. Further complicating matters, he lives in Thailand at an unknown address, so we cannot, as I understand, issue him a warning or potentially sue. It seems highly unethical and unprofessional that he and his solicitors can stonewall us by simply not complying with our dutiful efforts. What is my legal recourse here? Furthermore, what else could my solicitor be doing to apply pressure, other than sending weekly emails which get ignored?
    Last edited by hjt123; 3rd January 2024, 02:52:AM.
    Tags: None

Your solicitor should know about the process of "warning off" a caveat. This tells the person lodging the caveat to put up or shut up: he either withdraws or his challenges to the will are litigated.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X