• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Life Interest in Property and Executor Powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Interest in Property and Executor Powers

I wonder if someone could provide clarity .Husband and Wife own property as tenants in common in equal shares . Both their wills provide a life interest in the property .The husband dies first and his executor carries out probate and obtains a grant of probate.
    The wife remains in the property until her death a year later. In her Will the wife appoints the solicitor who drew up both wills as her executor.

1. Would the executor for the wife’s estate act alone in sorting out the sale of the property and then the subsequent distribution of funds to both the beneficiaries of the wife and husband
    or
    2 Would the executor for the wife’s estate need the agreement of the executor ( the son in law) for the husband’s estate to sell the property because the property was held as tenants in common.

Effectively what would be the role of each executor following the death of the wife.
    Tags: None

When the husband died first I assume his 50% share of the property was left to his daughter. The life interest that allowed the wife to continue to live at the property ended when she died. I assume her 50% share of the property was bequeathed to her beneficiaries (her child or children, not step daughter)
    This means you now have co-owners of the property. They need to get together to discuss what to do with the property. Either sell it on the market and split the proceeds, one co-owner(s) buys the other co-owner(s) share at an agreed price, or rent the property out at share the rental income.
    If the wills state the property should be sold and the owners agree to rent it a deed of variation is required.
    If the owners agree that it should be sold the executor solicitor should be asked to appoint a conveyancing solicitor and estate agent.

Comment

Pezza54 thank you very much for your reply . Just to be clear in my mind .Would I be right in thinking that following the death of the wife the co-owners of the house would be her beneficiary and the beneficiary of her late husband.

If they agree to sell the house would I be right in thinking that the wife’s executor would deal with the sale and distribution of proceeds as per their respective wills ,without the involvement of the husbands executor.

Comment

It makes sense. The proceeds of the sale of the house after the deduction of conveyancing solicitor and estate agent fees are banked by the solicitor before passing onto the sellers (the beneficiaries). The wife could have survived her husband for 10, 20, or 30 years and the husband's executor may not be around any more.

Comment

The 2 executors would jointly sell the property, as the 2 shares have passed into the 2 estates.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If the husbands share of the property (all other possessions and money distributed as his will) was put into a will trust with life interest, can the appointed trustee or trustees act as the husband's executor if the executor is no longer around?

Comment

is either executor "no longer around"?
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The executors representing the interests of the wife’s estate and the husband’s estate are both around .
                To be clear in my mind Atticus, are you saying that the executor acting for the wife cannot deal independently with the whole estate. He has to work jointly with the executor of the husband’s estate.

Comment

I am.

As in their lifetimes both husband and wife would have to sign sale documents, so after they have both passed away their personal representatives both have to sign sale documents. There are two distinct estates that have an interest in the property.

Comment

Thank you very much for clarifying that point Atticus, I would also like to say a big thank you to everyone who has taking the time to contribute to this thread. The advice and information provided by everyone has been really helpful to me and I really appreciate your comments.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X