• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mother vs grandchildren contesting a will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother vs grandchildren contesting a will

Hi,

My grandfather passed away 5 years ago. Had identical will with my grandmother. Property went to who ever passed first and grandchildren named as beneficries.

My grandmother sadly passed this year and had updated her will. Property was to be left to myself and brother and other siblings named also on the will.

Our mother is contesting the will as a step child who was left out of the will. Was never named in grandfathers will either only grandchildren.

Any advice on this please?
    Tags: None

When you say your mother is "contesting the will" what has she actually done, what legal basis has she used to contest it?

In certain circumstances someone who thinks they should have been a beneficiary but isn't could go to court and bring a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for family and and dependents) Act 1975. The circumstances where a claim can succeed are fairly limited. Search online for the act and lots of solicitors websites explain it. Note though that it is the stepchild (if they are an adult) who would have to contest the will under that act, not your mother.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Contesting under the provision for family and dependent Act 1975.

Our mother is the Step child.

Comment

Was she wholly or partly dependent on the deceased?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Ah OK. Familial relationships weren't clear from post #1. Is she using a solicitor? They will advise her if she has a potential claim under the 1975 Act. Not sure what more advice can be given here.

Who is the executor(s) of your grandmother's will? Have they heard from your mother or her solicitor setting out why they believe she has a claim under the Act? If you have read up on the Act you'll know there are specific grounds for bringing a claim

​​​​​
          ​​​​
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

The executors of the will are myself and brother aswell as being beneficiaries.

Our mother was non dependent on the deceased. She was never included on any previous wills from her biological parent as they decided to skip a generation and leave to grand children.

As I'm aware she has opened a case under the Act as a step child who has been left out. Her biological brother was also left out of the will.

We have received a letter instructing us to seek legal advice. We cannot until the new year.

Under this Act does this mean she can claim on the estate even if this was agaisnt the wishes of both biological and step parent.

Thank you

Comment

This letter "instructing" you to take legal advice - does it set out the basis on which the lady makes her claim? If not, I suggest that you ask her (or her lawyer) to set out in full the facts and matters that they say entitle her to make a claim.

What you say suggests that she will be in difficulty bringing a claim, particularly as she was not wholly or partly maintained by the deceased. See s1(1) of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1975/63/section/1

Has Probate been obtained?
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Do you have Probate yet? If yes, what date was it issued?

No-one can 'instruct' you to take legal advice. Who has written this letter? Or is it just a recommendation?

In your position I wouldn't rush to incur legal costs. I would ask them for more details of their claim first.

The only wishes that are relevant are those of the testator, ie your grandmother, as it is her will that is being challenged.
                ​​
                Last edited by PallasAthena; 29th December 2023, 18:44:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X