• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitor named in will - can I use someone else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitor named in will - can I use someone else?

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with a little advice. Following the recent passing of my mother I am taking the first steps to execute her will (I am the sole executor and trustee).

The will has a clause inserted as follows - "I with the firm of XXX solicitors of XXX to be employed in connection with my estate and if at the my death the firm no longer exists I wish the firm which carries on it's practice to be so employed"

I am trying to understand how enforceable this is as the firm still exists but I would like to use an alternative. I spent the last 6 months trying to get them to call be back to help make a change in the will my mum wanted (not in my favour) which they never did meaning the change was not made. Fortunately I know what she wanted and can arrange this on her behalf. Further to this the same firm executed the will and probate on the passing of my farther for my mother and through a series of events and non attention managed to make this a 2 year process. Also I don't live in the area and think it may be easier to employ a solicitor local to me.

Anyway, you didn't need to know all that but I would greatly value any suggestions or advise on the effectivity of the clause in the will and my options if there is anyone that could help.

Many thanks in advance,

John
    Tags: None

That is a wish. You are free to instruct whichever solicitor you choose.

I can however understand their not contacting you about changes to your late mother's will.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      I can however understand their not contacting you about changes to your late mother's will.
      Thank you for the response, very much appreciated.

I would be interested in your logic behind the statement above though if you would share as if I'm being over critical it would be good to know. While my 2 experiences with them have not been good, they did probate and managed the will when my dad passed transferring things to my mum, so in my head somewhere this feels like it might give them a head start in this case.

Many thanks again - John

Comment

Your reason for not wanting the solicitor named in the will is because they took 2 years to transfer your father's estate to your mother, an unreasonable amount of time unless there was a good reason. You also said the solicitor failed to return your calls over a 6 month period. Why would you want to proceed with this solicitor?

Comment

Unless your father had a financially complex estate - eg overseas assets, trusts, disputed/litigated will - I doubt that having dealt with your father's estate would give them any head start in dealing with your mother's so I wouldn't let that influence your decision.

There's no requirement to appoint a solicitor, you could do it yourself.
          Last edited by PallasAthena; 21st December 2023, 10:22:AM.
          All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Did your mother give the solicitors authority to discuss her will with you?
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X